This concerto made me into who I am

July 30, 2019, 11:31 PM · Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share something and see what others think about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjXOYbhboxY
This is a video of David Garrett before he turned into one of those "modern" violinists. I don't know why, but for almost a year I would listen to this almost everyday. It was throughout this past year that I realized my serious love for classical music. I even toyed with the idea of becoming a serious musician for a while, but of course that ended up in disappointment and amusement.
With David here only a few years older than me at that time, that really inspired me and made me realize that I could have been him if I seriously practiced when I was younger. I had always relied on the "I'll get better when I get older" excuse.

This past year has taught me the opposite as I spent countless hours practicing and finding out exactly how many flaws I had in my playing. But I wouldn't have improved so much in the past year if not for intensifying my love for music -- starting with this video.

I guess David wasn't as impressive as some modern child prodigies, but this video really changed my life.

Jamie

Replies (5)

July 31, 2019, 7:02 AM · I enjoyed that. Thank you for posting.
July 31, 2019, 7:21 AM · thanks for the link and your testimony Jamie, all best wishes to you!
July 31, 2019, 7:24 AM · Likewise - he really was a prodigious talent. I'm glad someone fixed his neck or he might have been a short one too....
Edited: July 31, 2019, 7:32 AM · Thank you Jamie - lovely recording. I remember hyper-listening (or is it multi-listening?) to this concerto in the 1960s - Zino Francescatti & Dimitri Mitropoulos. It had the Tchaikovsky concerto in the other side. A beautiful pairing!
July 31, 2019, 6:04 PM · I had a similar thing with Brahms' scherzo from his piano quintet. I studied in sixth form and my wanting to play incressed dramatically. Shame not a lot of progress was made though (due to incompetent teacher)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases