Does Trump's 25% tariff apply to Chinese violins???

July 30, 2019, 1:50 PM · has anyone heard, I can imagine an across the board 25% increase in new violin prices would be quite hard for some to bear??

Replies (21)

Edited: July 30, 2019, 2:39 PM · Thus far it seems to only apply to "cases, musical instrument".

I am not sure who the domestic manufacturer of cases is/are who they are trying to protect.

July 30, 2019, 2:49 PM · Yes.

9202.10.00 String musical instruments, o/than w/elect. sound or ampl., played with a bow.
9202.90.20 String musical instruments, o/than w/elect. sound or ampl., guitars, valued not over $100 each (excluding the value of the case).
9202.90.40 String musical instruments, o/than w/elect. sound or ampl., guitars, valued over $100 each (excluding the value of the case).

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/05/17/2019-10191/request-for-comments-concerning-proposed-modification-of-action-pursuant-to-section-301-chinas-acts

Edited: July 30, 2019, 3:02 PM · Not sure, but Fiddlershop's in brand instruments raised in prices recently (little over a month ago?) because of things like taxes, and all their Fiddlerman instruments are Chinese.
July 30, 2019, 7:08 PM · Only the orange ones
July 30, 2019, 7:43 PM · It is a bit confusing, to say the least.
July 31, 2019, 6:45 AM · Is it saying that electrics are excluded or am I misreading? If so I wonder what the logic would be? Ooops, am I assuming logic as part of this?
July 31, 2019, 6:52 AM · Duane, confusion is good. It gives lawyers work to do. In other words, it "creates jobs."
Edited: July 31, 2019, 8:40 AM · The tariffs are going to take money out of the pockets of parents buying student instruments. And all the rest of us will pay higher prices for Chinese made accessories.

But, getting to Landon's question, I highly doubt it will be any real help to American luthiers.

It's not like someone's going to say, geez, that $400 Chinese violin costs $500 now, so I guess I'll buy this $10,000 American violin instead.

Edited: July 31, 2019, 11:28 AM · Indeed. Typically dealers markup chinese instruments by 100% for retail, so a 25% tariff on dealer cost should at most result in a 12.5% increase to retail costs (i.e. a $400 retail instrument retailer cost = $250 rather than $200 pre-tariff, which is a $50 cost increase, not $100) and still maintain the same profit margin, but we all know that most retailers will use the tariff as an excuse to raise retail prices by at least 25%, if not more, hence pocketing even more than they were before the tariffs were imposed! Ever wondered how a 2cents a litre increase on gas price to retailers results in a 10cents increase at the pump?
August 1, 2019, 1:31 AM · Pricing doesn't work that way, if the wholesale price goes up 25% the retail price needs to go up 25%, otherwise the retailer is taking a loss.
August 1, 2019, 2:48 AM · Re electric violins: those are covered by a separate category: 9207.90.00 Musical instruments (o/than keyboard except accordions) nesoi [Not Elsewhere Specified Or Included], the sound of which is produced, or must be amplified, electrically.

Re margins: the retailer needs to pay sales tax/VAT over the import duties and deal with warranty replacements and damage during shipping and customers expect better service both before and after sales for higher prices.

Re "any real help to American luthiers": it may or may not be. More expensive retail prices and higher margins may lead to more income, or less due to decreased sales volume. At the lower end, consumers may treat the instruments less as throwaway items and instead come back for paid repairs.

Price increases of violins are probably not good for, say, violin teachers.

August 1, 2019, 8:02 AM · A presumed 25% rise in the price of new Chinese violins would boost the relative affordability of refurbished antiques, and that money would go to American workers. Not that I think the tariffs are a good thing.
August 2, 2019, 1:16 AM · hmmm... but we don't want Chinese violins anyway do we?

In the end you wish to get the best quality at the price and open markets with 0% tariffs best promote competition - and we all, the people, are the winners.

Edited: August 2, 2019, 3:51 AM · Chinese manufacturers may eat part of it, to keep sales volume up.

The goal of the tariffs isn't to increase costs for Americans, but to put leverage on China to reduce the very high tariffs they have on imported American goods. Tit for tat.

They probably can't cave right away without losing face. Time will tell.

August 2, 2019, 4:18 AM · Worry no more, it's a free market, and in free markets, sellers and companies make up whatever it has to be made up so they maintain the same benefits or better. So, if the price goes from $900 to $1099, and we decide not to buy, the seller won't get anything, and that can't be. So, the seller will lower the price, and that can mean worse QC, worse materials, etc... Whatever it has to be done, but you must still buy, that's the seller's only mission.
August 2, 2019, 7:11 AM · Do you work for the Trump administration, David, because that BS sounds like their party line!!
August 2, 2019, 7:45 AM · No, I'm self-employed. ;-)
August 2, 2019, 8:56 AM · By the way, Lyndon and co., isn't this tax good for you and local market?

I don't think it's gonna happen at all, but say a chinese VSO goes from $400 to $500, and people stop buying those and go to local shops, including yours. Don't you want this?

August 2, 2019, 9:01 AM · its bad for the country, That's my bigger concern.
Edited: August 2, 2019, 12:12 PM · Weren't you born Australian?

Australia is a pretty cool country, with lots of neat people. (I just got back from there).
What prompted you to emigrate to the US?
Were the people in Australia too reasonable for you?

Edited: August 2, 2019, 1:03 PM · I don't understand, if the chinese come with their shitty instruments, according to most of you, it's unfair, it damages our local production and shops. If we penalize chinese, it's bad for the country.
Is it because this "law" has the name Trump in it and you must hate it then?

If I had a shop and my country penalizes the competitors, I would be happy, specially since those products are not as good as mine.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases