next repertoire

Edited: July 30, 2019, 2:31 PM · So I dont know what to play right now. I was previously playing wieniawski concerto in d minor and the bach sonata no 1 adagio and fugue. I've been working on paganini caprice 5 and 13 and I can play those pretty well. What should I play next?

Replies (23)

July 30, 2019, 8:56 PM · Whatever your teacher assigns it isn’t recommend to show up to your lessons playing what people on the internet instead.
July 30, 2019, 9:30 PM · I agree that this is a question for your teacher. Have you played Saint-Saens #3 yet?
July 30, 2019, 9:41 PM · My teacher doesn't assign me things I turn up with something I like/want to play, and he either agrees and we learn it or suggests something similar that is nearer my level. So the OP's teacher may be similar
July 30, 2019, 9:49 PM · I agree, ask your teacher what you should play next. However, if your teacher is like Jake's then I would also recommend Saint-Saens #3. It's kind of a sister concerto to the Wieniawski #2 in that you learn one after the other. Then after I would say Mendelssohn is next. Although Mendelssohn is easier than both having already done both Wieniawski and Saint-Saens will help you tackle some of the obstacles that are in Mendelssohn easier.
July 30, 2019, 9:50 PM · It's usually easier for students if a teacher can suggest a set of possibilities as well as an assertion of what they want you to be working on. Thus if you want to go outside of those possibilities you have some notion of where you should aim.
July 31, 2019, 12:00 AM · I would definitely ask your teacher. That said, some teachers do give you a lot of choice or let you choose something by yourself, perhaps with some guidance. You can always research some pieces and ask your teacher if they are suitable for you or not. If your teacher is the kind that will let you choose what you want to play, another option is to research some less-known pieces, pick some stuff, and ask your teacher about it. This may not be the best approach if you are preparing for a big competition/audition, though.
July 31, 2019, 12:09 AM · I totally second Ella's opinion
July 31, 2019, 8:42 AM · For students, doing the usual warhorses is a good idea. There are good reasons for why students generally end up playing the same set of pieces -- they are useful pedagogically and can be arranged in a semi-linear progression.

Obscure repertoire is great later on when you're trying to put together recital programs and your focus is on the audience rather than your own development.

July 31, 2019, 8:48 AM · My son played both these pieces last year so is likely around the same level. Of course ask your teacher, but the pieces he played right before/after these included: full Lalo SE, Saint Saens 3, and now Vieuxtemps 5. Definitely finish the last two movements of the Bach Sonata as well -- they pop up on a lot of competition/audition lists. The Caprices my son did this year
after 13 were 14, 16, 20, and 22. He's also doing a selection of short pieces, the current one being Sarasate Introduction and Tarantella.
July 31, 2019, 6:20 PM · so my teacher is really pushing me and wants me to learn Tchaikovsky concerto but I'm not sure if I can
July 31, 2019, 6:21 PM · So voice the concerns to your teacher
July 31, 2019, 7:25 PM · What did you play before the Wieniawski and the Bach?
July 31, 2019, 8:36 PM · I would build a bit more technique before Tchaikovsky if you have the time to do it. I don't know how old you are or what stage of education you are in. If you are auditioning for colleges soon it may be a wise choice to take on something big like Tchaikovsky. But apart from that, I would build a bit more. A kind of middle road between might be something like Dvorak, though that has plenty of challenges as well.
July 31, 2019, 9:17 PM · Wieniawski d minor to Tchaikovsky is quite a jump.
Edited: August 1, 2019, 2:08 PM · What are all the concertos that you have learned so far? Also could you tell us a little more about your teacher and their teaching style? I agree Tchaikovsky is a big jump from Wieniawski d minor.
August 1, 2019, 3:09 AM · How difficult is the Wieniawski compared to the other standard concertos? Would it be around Mendelssohn-level?
August 1, 2019, 9:00 AM · He said Wieniawski d (No. 2) not F (No. 1 in f# actually, which is exceptionally difficult).

Wieniawski 2 is above Bruch/Mendelssohn/etc. in difficulty, but below the difficulty of Dvorak, Prokofiev et.al. (which in turn are below the difficulty of Tchaikovsky).

August 1, 2019, 11:44 AM · I don't think Wieniawski #2 is any harder than Mendelssohn except for the up-bow staccato.

Wieniawski #1 in f# minor is crazy hard, harder than Tchaikovsky imo.

Prokofiev #2 is easier than #1.

August 1, 2019, 11:48 AM · Lydia,
Yes I know he said d minor I missed the d key and hit the f one by accident and didn’t see it until you pointed it out.
August 1, 2019, 10:38 PM · Sounds like a huge jump to Tchaikovsky then.

But definitely a question for your teacher. Maybe OP played it exceptionally well.

Edited: August 3, 2019, 2:06 PM · The pieces I played before this was Vieuxtemps no. 4 and Lalo Symphonie Espagnole. My teacher said he either wanted me to play Paganini Concerto no. 1 or Tchaikovsky next
August 3, 2019, 3:48 PM · Paganini is also really hard
August 3, 2019, 7:42 PM · Most people play Paganini No. 1 before Tchaikovsky.

I find the demands of the extensions in Paganini No. 1 to make it considerably more difficult than Tchaikovsky for my personal strengths/weaknesses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases