Viola studies by Lillian Fuchs

July 28, 2019, 8:24 PM · Hi fellow violists! I have recently stumbled upon a CD Lillian Fuchs "Complete Music for Unaccompanied Viola" by Jeanne Mallow.
It contains, among others:
Sixteen Fantasy Etudes (1959)
Fifteen Characteristic Studies for Viola (1965)
Twelve Caprices for Viola (1950)

Can someone please shed some light on the above, in particular, the level of difficulty, usefulness and recommended order of study? Thank you.

Replies (1)

July 29, 2019, 12:19 AM · I have the 12 Caprices, I bought them someplace, probably because I was intrigued by Lillian Fuch's playing. When I studied with Hatto Beyerle at the Music University in Vienna I brought some of them into lessons. Professor Beyerle wondered what I hoped to gain by studying them, though my copy is filled with fingerings and bowings in his handwriting. so we obviously worked on them for some time. They are filled with lots of difficult stretches, which is the main area of difficulty, which is interesting, since Lillian Fuchs was a very small woman who played a very large DaSalo viola. In retrospect, I think professor Beyerle was right, I'm dubious that they added anything useful to my playing. Incidentally, Jeanne Mallow is the granddaughter of Lillian Fuchs.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe