tall/raised chinrests that are center?

July 28, 2019, 1:35 PM · My daughter has a long neck and sloping shoulders, and we've been experimenting with various chinrests and shoulder rests, mostly generating our list of ones to try from really helpful past threads on this site -- thanks to all of you who contributed to those!

The challenge we're running into is that she strongly prefers a center chinrest, and most of the raised/tall ones are not truly center. Are there ones you'd recommend that have a center option?

Replies (10)

July 28, 2019, 1:52 PM · I have always preferred a centre mounted. I currently use the Wittner Augsburg chin rest, which is fairly adjustable, and centre mounted!
https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/wittner-augsburg-adjustable-chin-rest - you might have to search the internet for someone who might sell this in your area. I’m not where you are based.

My local violin shop also does a variety of centre mounted chin rests, which are taller. http://www.cardiffviolins.co.uk/high-chin-rests/p/890/i/1391/desc/cardiff-violins/ - again you might have to find someone local to you that offers this?

Flesch chinrests seem to be truly centre mounted, have you looked at those? https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/new-flesch-chinrest

You could also contact your local luthier, if you have one. They might be able to help you find a chin rest that works for your daughter and get a good height that’s comfortable for your daughter.

Good luck!

July 28, 2019, 2:11 PM · I also use Wittner Augsburg chinrests on all of my violins, two acoustics and one electric. They're supplied with a variety of risers that you can use to suit yourself, and there's an additional set of risers available separately that will get it even higher (Shar has them). The issue you might run into is whether your case will accommodate the chinrest at the highest settings. I find them to be lightweight and very comfortable. And It doesn't hurt that they're hypoallergenic too.
July 28, 2019, 8:21 PM · Good suggestions above. The Kreddle, although expensive, is very adjustable in not only height, but also angle and position of the cup as well. They come in both side and centered versions but the center-mounted version doesn't necessarily make the chinrest a more centered chinrest, as the adjustable plate of the side mount allows the chinrest to be centered over the tailpiece. I've heard that the Berber is rather high and center-mounted. Wave also seems to be center-mounted but someone needs to confirm that.
July 28, 2019, 9:28 PM · Thanks! The Wittner Augsburg was next on my list to buy so I'm glad I seem to be on the right track with that!

I was wondering about the Flesch extra-tall ones. I wasn't sure if they were really center rests, but now I see that all Flesch models appear to be center! I guess we'll get one of those to try, too.

I looked at the Kreddle photos and I can see that you can attach it to your violin two different ways, but at least from the photos here (https://www.kreddle.com/store/index.php?item=k) both options appear to result in sort of a side-center rest. Yes? Or is there a way to adjust it so it is really centered?

I've seen the Berber come up in a few of these discussions but when I look at it I'm not clear on what makes it high. It doesn't look particularly high to me -- is there a particular model that is higher or more adjustable?

We did the "Buy one try four" deal on Wave chin rests while while they're very intriguing, they don't really have a center option. My daughter gave them a good try and rejected them.

Edited: July 29, 2019, 4:52 AM · I've recently tried the Wittner Augsburg. Just in case it matters, I will observe that it's flatter than the Zuerich CR, so much that FOR ME it never felt stable. I learned that I really need something that will hook up beneath my chin - I've not idea what to call that...

I am currently in my Wave trial and I think I'm sold on the Wave 1. The Kreddle was my next option.

July 29, 2019, 6:42 AM · I've tried Flesch and Berber CRs. The Flesch one felt taller.
July 29, 2019, 8:53 AM · Catherine, am I correct that although the Kreddle can mount center, in terms of use it's more of a side-center CR?
Edited: July 29, 2019, 11:22 AM · I don't know, but there are others here who use Kreddle who can answer that. I was interested purely in the adjustability, it would be next if the Wave 1 doesn't work for me - but I think it will.

The Wittner Zuerich was fine, but the legs kept collapsing and scratching my violin regardless of adjustment/how tightly/loosely it was attached to the violin. Perhaps just a defective item such as a slight mismatch between the legs and insertion point with the CR body, but I got over it. Pity as I really liked it otherwise. I've found I like the Wave 1 even better.

The Augsburg is true center-mount and a reasonable price point.

July 29, 2019, 11:26 AM · I have the Augsburg on both my violin and viola. I like it, suits my playing style. However its not as adjustable as many others, including the Kreddle
Edited: July 29, 2019, 1:44 PM · As to whether the Kreddle is side or center, it can be both depending on how you adjust the position of the cup. I believe that you can rotate the cup to hover straight over the tailpiece according to the Kreddle website. I would like someone to confirm this, perhaps contact Kreddle?

As for the shape of the chinrest, some people love to have a strong edge to hook under the jawbone for stability, as Catherine pointed out. There are different ways of describing this: chinrests with a (tall) ridge, hump, lip, prominent edge, deep cup, scoop, etc. Others, such as myself, prefer flatter chinrests like the Flesch flat. I really think it's an individual preference that's dependent on the shape and structure of your chin/jaw.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe