Gut strings and fine tuners

July 26, 2019, 8:34 PM · Hi guys,

I was looking through some posts about using gut strings with fine tuners. From what I've read, people say it's not worth it because it's too big of a stretch, but people say it with synthetic core, too.

Would it damage the gut string if I just leave a fine tuner on the A or try to tune with it, or would it just not be very useful?

Replies (6)

July 26, 2019, 8:47 PM · It wouldn't damage the string, but it wouldn't be very useful. You could crank the tuner all the way down and not alter the pitch significantly.

Edited: July 27, 2019, 7:30 PM · If you use a micrometer tailpiece, such as a Wittner, it is possible to have wound gut G and D in combination with steel A and E (the "Russian" setup). I've successfully done this with Eudoxa G and D. I find that the loop knot at the end of these wound gut strings fits comfortably into the recess in the tuner where the ball end of a string would usually go. I tune the G and D from the pegs, as usual with gut, but of course use the fine tuners for the steel A and E. I've never tried an Eudoxa A with a tailpiece tuner, but I would expect it to behave in the same way as the D and G, and because of the higher tension of the A fine tuning with the tuner would probably be successful.

Don't even think about using a gut E with a micrometer tuner. Even if you could get it to work without the knot popping out from the tuner every five minutes then the life of an already naturally short-life gut E will be even more reduced.

Perhaps others here could advise on the success or otherwise of geared peg box tuners with gut strings.

July 27, 2019, 8:05 PM · I wouldn’t use fine tuners for wound gut, and definitely no to fine tuners when using plain (unwound) gut.
July 27, 2019, 9:54 PM · Mechanical pegs and gut strings go together like peas in a pod.
July 27, 2019, 10:15 PM · rubbish!!
Edited: July 27, 2019, 10:22 PM · I played at an orchestral concert today where it was hot and my hands were sweaty. My G string went a whole semitone flat right during the fast piece that happens to be in G major, because of my perspiration. You think I could have fixed it during my one bar of rest with a traditional wooden peg? Fat chance!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases