After pirastro tonica

July 25, 2019, 5:31 PM · Hi everybody. I've been using pirastro tonica all this years and I really like then but I think I should upgrade to the next level. Which strings are the best? Pirastro gold, evah pirazzi, dominant, obligato... If you have any suggestion, pls tell me!

Replies (6)

July 25, 2019, 7:17 PM · I wouldn’t say they’re the best (for your violin), but a good one to start with would be dominants. They’re a neutral string that works really well with most violins. They help you hear whether your violin is warm or bright sounding. That way you can change your strings based on the sound you want whether that’s warmer or brighter.
July 25, 2019, 7:28 PM · Tonica is a fairly neutral string as well, only a little bit brighter than Dominant. There's no need to switch if Tonicas sound good on your violin. Are you looking for a different sound? Brighter? Darker?
July 25, 2019, 7:46 PM · If you are happy with the sound and response of Tonicas on your violin you will probably save lots of money and frustration if you keep using them. Once you get into searching for "better" strings it is like searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.*

* The voice of experience.

July 25, 2019, 8:02 PM · Tonicas are hard to beat, especially at their price point. If you're just looking for adventure, the next logical (and much more expensive) step would be Evah Pirazzis - the normal green ones. They're, maybe, the second most-commonly used string by professional players (the first being Dominants).
July 25, 2019, 8:14 PM · Tonicas sound better on my instrument than Dominants.
July 25, 2019, 9:50 PM · Try plain gut. You will love it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe