Vanhal C major concerto

July 25, 2019, 9:19 AM · Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew the technical difficulty of Vanhal's C major viola concerto? What is it comparable to?

Stylistically I would imagine it to be the same as playing Haydn/Mozart/Hoffmeister

Thanks in advance.

Replies (7)

Edited: July 25, 2019, 1:08 PM · Only the solo part is available on IMSLP – not the orchestral parts, score or even a piano reduction (why?) - so this would be a problem if performance is intended. I cannot find mention of the viola concerto elsewhere, but the Naxos album of three violin concertos by Vanhal mentions that the sheet music for these is published by Artaria.com, which could be a source for the viola concerto.

Although much of Vanhal's output, including the three violin concertos mentioned above, and his many symphonies, has been recorded by Naxos, the viola concerto does not seem to be among them.

I've looked through the solo viola score. Stylistically it is typical of the late 18th century Viennese period, and, although I am not a violist, I would put it technically on a par with something like Haydn's G major violin concerto – grade 8+, perhaps? It could also be arranged as a useful cello concerto, but that's another story.

Jake, I see that you'll soon be starting a music degree at university. University libraries are ideally placed for tracking down music scores.

July 25, 2019, 1:13 PM · I've been trying to change that haha. I've got a Baerenreiter edition of the concerto with the piano reduction
July 25, 2019, 3:41 PM · Vanhal is easier on Warchal strings!
July 26, 2019, 2:53 AM · Why's that? I've never used Warchal on my violib or viola
August 6, 2019, 8:57 AM · It's pretty straightforward to play - unless you try to read it fast as Josef Suk in his recording available on YouTube.
August 6, 2019, 8:44 PM · It seems to be the best classical concerto to start at least. Because hoffmeister is actually quite uncomfortable then stamitz and is a harder opening than stamitz. This would seem a great piece to play because the opening is Loud and easy to play in tune and you do the same note three times. A great piece where you can work your nerves out easily in the first couple bars.
August 6, 2019, 8:55 PM · I'd start with Vanhal or Joseph Schubert (which I've recently discovered)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe