How to do string crossings smoothly

July 24, 2019, 3:02 AM · Hi, so my teacher is making me work on Vivaldi’s G Major concerto and there are a lot of those semiquivers with a lot of strong crossings. How do I do it smoothly without the earrape sounds appearing everytine I do a string crossing?

Replies (5)

July 24, 2019, 3:28 AM · Hi,there,
Firstly,I dont want to disrespect anything that your teacher is instructing you to do....so Im only suggesting what I do to help.

Say you had to play a G on the D-string with your third finger,followed by a B on the A-string whth your first finger,I find the trick is to 'prepare' the B on the A-string,by putting BOTH
the third finger on the D-sting AND the first finger on the A-string
at the SAME TIME.(like fingering a 3rd double-stop)This way you can
concentrate more on the bowing AND when your Third finger comes OFF
the D-string,any noise will be covered by your playing of the B on the A-string.
I dont take lessons,but once I 'discovered' this
technique,it cleaned up my playing.Of course this can be done with just about any fingering,even 5ths.

Best of luck,:-)

July 26, 2019, 12:53 PM · My teacher always says to prepare as many fingers as possible
July 26, 2019, 1:08 PM · Preparing your fingers in advance is something you work on continually with every etude, study, and scale that you are assigned.
July 26, 2019, 4:42 PM · Not only prepare the fingers, but also the bow. The note before you are going to cross strings, the bow should already be leaning towards the next string.
July 26, 2019, 4:58 PM · Preparing fingers is part of it, but also I find slow practice helps me gain a good quality of sound out of a fast passage once I’m able to play it up to speed. The G major concerto is really good fun, good luck with it!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe