Fine Tuner for A - Russian Style!

July 23, 2019, 11:22 AM · I sometimes like to use a steel A string, Russian style, but I've never been happy with the fine-tuner options for ball-end strings. Yesterday I noticed that Gidon Kremer has an A string tuner that is different from the commonly available ones.

It looks kind of like a Hill or Goetz model, except that the metal block rests on top of the tailpiece instead of coming up from underneath. Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

Replies (9)

Edited: July 23, 2019, 12:15 PM · Mutter, in her video of the Dvorak concerto with the Berlin Philharmonic, is clearly using the ubiquitous Wittner tuners for her steel A and E (as I do – but there the resemblance ends).

The video link is,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYtrRApNKQ , a typical shot of the tuners being at 1' 53”

PS The strings I am using are the Warchal Amber set, with the Warchal Russian A, but sometimes, depending on the music/ensemble, I might swap the Russian A to the Amber A, a quick and easy change.

July 23, 2019, 12:40 PM · I would just get finetuning pegs.
July 23, 2019, 12:56 PM · Trevor, yes, that's what I usually use now, as the lesser weevil. I don't really like having those levers under the tailpiece though; I've also tried the - I think they're called "uni" tuners - but they lift the ball very high off the tailpiece and mess up the alignment. Oistrakh did the same, and had the same alignment problem, and it didn't seem to bother his Strad, but then again, it was his Strad... :)

Cotton, I'm not a fan of planetary pegs.

July 23, 2019, 1:39 PM · Nate, I've used the "uni" tuners in the past, but no longer. I know they are lighter than the Wittners and the flat underside is less likely to do major damage in the rare event of a bridge collapse or similar, but I got fed up with that odd alignment, especially when there's a mute involved, and because the engineering design has a flaw that is not immediately obvious. I went into details elsewhere, but suffice to say that if an "uni" is tightened up on the tailpiece as it should then it becomes progressively more difficult to actuate the tuning screw and eventually the tuner starts to loosen, causing a mysterious buzz.

The reason why I use one or two add-on tuners on this particular violin, and not a tailpiece with integral tuners, is that I occasionally revert to an all-gut setup for a while, or may be using a gut G and a plain gut D instead of the usual Amber G and D.

July 23, 2019, 1:50 PM · Trevor, same, especially re mute and buzzing!
July 23, 2019, 4:33 PM · Nate, the following link contains a catalogue of most known string adjusters together with links to the websites of the manufacturers:

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1510

Just have a look and choose.

July 23, 2019, 5:58 PM · Jose, thanks for the link; I've read that thread before. I have all of those tuners, except for the B&C one. I'm specifically asking about Kremer's A-string tuner as it seems to be not one of of the commonly available ones. I found a thread on Maestronet where someone was asking a similar question (had encountered one at a shop), but no one seems to know where they hail from.
Edited: July 24, 2019, 3:53 AM · Sorry Nate, I didn't know that you are already familiar with that cited thread.
As you couldn't find Mr. Kremers string adjuster amongst the standard parts, I would guess that a luthier made his tuner to specification. Mr. Kremer is of enough importance that he can ask for something like that.

In your position I would ask Mr. Kremer himself about the origin of his string adjuster. Write an e-mail with your question to one (or some) of his impresarios and hope that they will take care for an answer. What I've heard, Mr. Kremer is a very kind person who will answer your e-mail when it's forwarded to him.

You find the e-mail addresses of Mr. Kremers impresarios here:

https://www.gidonkremer.net/contact/

Have a nice day!

July 24, 2019, 8:51 AM · Jose, no problem at all; I appreciate the input. It's better to have too much information than too little. :)

Thanks for the contact info link, too! I was pondering doing just what you suggest, and with your encouragement, I think I will.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe