Mazas & Kreutzer with International

Edited: July 22, 2019, 6:27 AM · I am planning to start Mazas 75 or/and Kreutzer 42 soon after finishing my current Kayser 36.

Finding there are Mazas and Kreutzer books edited by Galamian from International, I guessed their bowing and fingering would be very consistent through the books and my study be going efficiently.

My thought would have any ground?

Another doubt is on whether Galamian's fingering and bowing shall be recommendable to everyone without question. This thinking arose when someone here once told us to avoid his editions because the fingering and bowing lack of musical and artistic help, but much oriented to a mechanical fingering less considering the music.

I don't know whether this allegation is true or not, but please help me to have an unbiased view.

Shim

Replies (6)

July 22, 2019, 8:28 AM · I recommend using an edition which gives the fingerings written by Kreutzer. I dislike many of internationals editions and have found edition Peters to be better. However on imslp there is the original edition where Kreutzer was one the publishing team which is probably the most accurate.
July 22, 2019, 8:54 AM · Galamian bowings and fingerings are generally thoughtfully chosen. He tends to favor many small shifts rather than fewer, larger shifts; you might not have that same preference. My teacher also has strong feelings about not changing strings during a phrase unless you want a deliberate change of color, but this almost always leads to more complicated and difficult fingerings. Galamian will choose convenience and ease.

In etudes, most fingerings are pedagogical. The fingerings might not actually be convenient because the awkwardness is intended to teach you something. I learned Kreutzer from the International edition, more or less without changes.

July 22, 2019, 11:21 AM · When choosing etude editions, the main thing is whether the print is nice looking. You can always change the fingers if you don't like them. I prefer Schott, followed by Edition Peters. But I do often have other editions (Galamian, Gingold) for reference, to copy good ideas from.

It seems like you might not have a teacher, if you're deciding what etudes to work on for yourself, so let me also suggest that what you want to work on right now is Dont Op. 37 - "Preperatory Exercises for Kreutzer and Rode." Galamian's book "Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching" has a pretty comprehensive study guide to Dont Op. 37 in the appendix. If you take the trouble to thoroughly learn it and supplement with technique builders from Schardieck, Sevcik, and Simon Fischer, you might be able to skip Kreutzer all together.

Edited: July 22, 2019, 4:19 PM · Thank you for the valuable inputs.
Mark, can you tell me the editor of the edition Peters. I found three(maybe more) editors : Hermann, Loewe and David. Lydia, your explanations on the Galamian fingerings and bowings did so much help. Actually my teacher prefers the International edition of Kreutzer as she experienced it. But for Mazas she says any edition is OK. Sadly my question on the matter of consistency in bowings and fingerings was not fully answered from her. Note B, I had better read the Galamian's book to grasp more about his philosophy.

Shim

July 22, 2019, 9:48 PM · I forget as my violin copy is at home as im away at a festival this summer but I think my favorite for reference at least is the original on imslp.
But always do what your teacher says as that will undoubtedly help the most.
July 24, 2019, 8:13 AM · Galamian bowings to my knowledge are pretty good. They were in Fiorillo as well and it was pretty solid.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe