Wittner Zuerich or Kreddle chin rest

Edited: July 21, 2019, 1:33 AM · Has anyone used the Zuerich or kreddle chin rest? i only like them chin rest cause it comes in different sizes that i can mix and match to adjust myself. I have read somewhere that people are saying it affects the sound of their violin and makes it sound plastic?

What other chin rest do you recommend that are height adjustable and doesn't affect the sound of the violin?

Replies (5)

Edited: July 21, 2019, 11:36 AM · I've been using the Wittner Zuerich for several months now - I need a high CR and low SR due to certain neck and shoulder problems so an adjustable chin rest is important. I've not noticed it really affecting the sound of my violin.

The only problem I've had with the Zuerich is the legs disconnects from the CR from time to time and falls off - and scratches my violin in the process. I'm tired of this and am replacing it with the Wave (order 1, get 4 to try). I do not think this is a common problem with the adjustable Wittner, nothing I do seems to make a real difference. I'm over it.

Haven't tried the Kreddle, if the Wave doesn't work for me the Kreddle will be next. I really hope one of the Waves do...

Edited: July 21, 2019, 8:49 AM · "people are saying it affects the sound of their violin and makes it sound plastic"

People think and say the silliest things. Yes, everything in contact with the violin will have some effect on the sound, whether noticeable or not, but the degree to which a particular chinrest alters the sound in comparison to another should be a secondary concern until the basic function of the chinrest - its positioning and role in support for playing - is adequately addressed.

Also 'plastic'? What exactly is that supposed to mean? And are the Zuerich and Kreddle, having completely different structure, weight, and mounting mechanisms supposed to have a similar effect on the sound? Would a heavier wooden chinrest be necessarily better? Why?

I've tried the Kreddle, Zuerich and similar Augsburg chinrests. I don't use a shoulder rest. The Kreddle never worked for me, because it doesn't have enough of a groove for the jaw to engage, and I don't like its mounting system because the metal bar at the bottom would be in contact with my body. The Zuerich and Augsburg were both better, and I've never had a problem with the legs disconnecting.

Edited: July 21, 2019, 9:52 AM · I like the Kréddle. If you're worried about the metal clamp abrading your collarbone, you can get the center-mounted version. Or a cusion—it's up to you.

Personally I don't like the Wittner chinrests. They look very clunky and large, and don't seem to have much adjustability at all. Granted, I've never had one. I'm just looking at photos.

July 21, 2019, 4:01 PM · One of my very tall, long-necked students uses a Wittner Zuerich at the +6 height mounting. It works great for him! It took us a long time to find a solution that would allow him to keep the violin at the level of the collarbone, with a chinrest shape that allowed for some adjustment in position. At less than 1/3rd the cost of a Kreddle, and quite a lot of configuration options, it's another useful tool in the teacher's toolbox.

The material of the Wittner chinrests is very comfortable, and despite their size they don't weigh very much.

Edited: July 21, 2019, 4:34 PM · I'm another recent convert to the Kreddle - and I converted FROM the Wittner. It wasn't love at first sight with the Kreddle - initially, I thought I'd wasted my money. However, I persevered and now I can't see me changing. It is almost infinitely adjustable.

I have both the centre mounted and side-mounted options - I currently use the centre mounted one.

As a parting thought, remember that the Zuerich is only adjustable in one thing - it's height. And for me, it's maximum height wasn't enough. The videos that Kreddle have put out are useful and thought-provoking. I followed the advice and have adjusted my setup so that my head is naturally balanced over my spine. This has lead to a much more comfortable playing position.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe