Titanium Bridge Clip

July 16, 2019, 7:47 PM · Anyone ever used one? I'm guessing it's probably a waste of money!

Replies (34)

July 16, 2019, 8:25 PM · What is it?
July 16, 2019, 8:40 PM · Here’s a link to it.

http://www.stradpet.com/our%20products

July 16, 2019, 8:41 PM · Goes in place of the skin on a bridge
July 16, 2019, 8:48 PM · I see -- thanks for educating me on this. I think this is a great idea in principle. I'd like to try it. In the old days there were ebony inserts for E strings. I often wondered why those couldn't be made out of metal or a hard mineral substance like garnet or sapphire. Whether titanium is the right material I don't know, and the point of contact needs to be not too wide I would guess.
July 16, 2019, 9:03 PM · I actually like this idea.

Once upon a time I had thought about putting brass foil in the string slots on a violin where the nut was too low.

July 16, 2019, 9:15 PM · I have a titanium tailgut and tuner, why not get the bridge clip?! I googled it but couldn’t find any info and nothing on Maestronet.
July 16, 2019, 10:19 PM · I always associated the ebony bridge E-string inserts with cheaper bridges. I am more familiar with me or luthiers making a "parchment" fitting to go over the bridge string groove for the highest string mostly to prevent the groove from getting deeper. The highest string is the thinnest and highest tension string of the four so it is likely to cut into the bridge fastest.

If the Ti clip is cheap enough and removable, and you have the patience to await its arrival I seen no reason not to order one. Just be sure it is smooth where it contacts the string.

Edited: July 17, 2019, 7:57 AM · These clips are a good idea, in principle. The mass of one clip is 0.025 g. By taking into account that a luthier tunes a violin bridge by removing tiniest pieces of wood of the bridge which changes the mass of the bridge only by a fraction of the mass of such a clip, you can guess that mounting one clip to the bridge has a mentionable influence to the sound of the instrument.
This is confirmed by some of the customer reviews in the shop of stradpet where is stated "a big difference to the sound".
So presumably when you mount that clip on a tuned bridge you have to meet your luthier for retuning your bridge in due consideration of the presence of the clip, when your instrument should still sound at it's best.
A comment of one of the luthiers in the forum on this item would be very helpful.
July 17, 2019, 6:29 AM · It's not that expensive, give a try and write about your experience here. It does look like it will add considerable amount of height to the string, something to keep in mind. l think it is really important that it makes good and full contact on the bridge otherwise it will impact the tone negatively. Since it's a one size fits all and doesn't conform to the shape of the bridge/string like parchment I'm sure there may be some issues. Not all E strings are the same gauge.
July 17, 2019, 6:46 AM · eBay had them for 24 bucks but the link I posted earlier, you get 4 for 11 bucks so I went and purchased them. 11 bucks is worth the try! I’ll let you all know my results. ??
July 17, 2019, 7:10 AM · Do you have to glue it on? Don't want a piece of metal rattling on the bridge.....
I have their titanium fine tuner and it works very well. I also have their titanium chin rest clamps on several instruments.
How did you find the titanium tail cord influenced the sound?
They also have titanium end pins that they claim will influence the sound. Did anyone try it? I remember seeing a metal end pin that was slightly excentric so that the afterlength could be adjusted by turning the end pin, but this one seems to be concentric.
July 17, 2019, 8:28 AM · I am curious to see your feedback on them. I would anticipate possible buzzing in addition to changing the balance of sound between strings.
July 17, 2019, 3:35 PM · "The mass of one clip is 0.025 g." Really? 25 mg sounds rather heavy. But I suppose it's solid metal ...

"Don't want a piece of metal rattling on the bridge..." I don't think it will rattle. I think the tension of the string will hold it in place.

I bought titanium chin-rest hardware from this outfit. I didn't expect that the distance between the two screws would be different from CR to CR, so I had to drill a new hole in my chin-rest, but that was no big deal. Changing from chrome-plated brass CR hardware to titanium CR hardware changed the tone of my violin from a cheap eBay VSO to near Strad levels ...

Edited: July 17, 2019, 4:24 PM · I'm leary of this dealer. They tell me my PayPal card has expired (it has not, I last used the acct successfully yesterday on the opposite side of the world from them) and want me to use a different card or update it via my connection with them. My reason for using PayPal is to avoid giving most internet dealers my CC info. I've tried this with them 5 times now (same order) and even went back to PayPal and changed my password.

Has anyone hear actually dealt with them via PayPal?

July 17, 2019, 5:44 PM · They just don't want to give PayPal their commission is my guess.
July 17, 2019, 5:53 PM · They charge extra ~3% for Paypal.
July 17, 2019, 6:04 PM · This clip looks to me like a an accessory looking for a problem to solve. My luthier puts something on the bridge notch where my e-string sits, and I have never had a problem. I would be interested to see what the luthiers on this site have to say.
Edited: July 19, 2019, 6:41 AM · I'm no a luthier, however the professionally finished and fitted bridges I have purchased and the bridges on new luthier-made instruments I have purchased have had "parchment" "patches clued over the bridges for violin, viola, and cello highest strings. Parchment is a natural product, actually stiff leather. About 50 years ago I purchased pre-shaped parchment patches from a luthier supply house in the eastern US (Johnson String* near Boston) and about 20 years ago (having run out of that supply) my own luthier here in Northern California sold me a small "sheet" of parchment from which I have cut my own patches when needed. Very thoughtfully he provided a sheet of varying thickness (violin ---> viola ---> cello). It has all worked fine. I use superglue to fasten them down - it is easy to remove and replace.

* I think Johnson stopped selling such supplies yeas ago, but I just found the violin parchments on ebay (from China): https://www.ebay.com/p/5pcs-Bridge-Parchment-String-Protectors-for-E-String-Violin-Viola-Parts-cu3/28026519153?iid=401737680068&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=401737680068&targetid=474173372829&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032089&poi=&campaignid=1669934825&mkgroupid=65058350099&rlsatarget=pla-474173372829&abcId=1139296&merchantid=101688535&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjrvpBRC0ARIsAFrFuV-KnjLC7zy3hUJAVPPXLUmn4IDatHiClrBERk6iLFArUKgRN2Fn2eMaAgP2EALw_wcB

July 17, 2019, 6:49 PM · I think parchment is probably what my luthier uses. Seems to work fine. Not sure why I would bother with the titanium clip.
Edited: July 18, 2019, 4:19 AM · Jamie Colvin : "eBay had them for 24 bucks but the link I posted earlier, you get 4 for 11 bucks so I went and purchased them. 11 bucks is worth the try! I’ll let you all know my results.??"

Hi Jamie,
I've never tried this titanium clip, but please let us know how it works.
Putting metal under the string is normally not a good idea because it causes a somewhat shrill sound, for this reason parchment is used which tends to soften the metallic tone of the E string. But titanium is not brass or steel, so who knows??.
However, this clip seems to be made as a quick fix for a string that has sunk into the bridge, the thing I don't like and I think is wrong is the small central hollow where the string rests,definitely too deep. I would have preferred that this "big notch" hadn't been there, a smooth surface with a simple slight incision would be much better, just to position the string in the right place so that it remains almost completely above and not inside the notch.

Edited: July 18, 2019, 6:29 AM · I would be concerned about titanium, a very hard metal, against fragile soft aluminum or chromed metal windings wrapped around synthetic or natural thread cores at a high pressure point, narrow fulcrum. Even with a Russian steel a, I would have concerns about the pulling of tuning and vibrations and changes in pressure and angle of bowing.
Probably fine, but still, metal on metal at the end of the vibrating string?
I guess it works on electric guitars, but those nuts and bridges tend to be much wider and flatter, with the pressure spread over a larger contact area, often chrome plating or brass, which is softer than titanium alloy. Also, electric guitars tend to use harder metals in their strings.
July 18, 2019, 6:31 AM · I have not weighed them, but I can’t imagine parchment is much heavier than the titanium clip- unless you are comparing by mass percentage and weighing the wet glue.
July 18, 2019, 10:26 AM · Judging from the descriptions on that web site anything made from titanium will enhance the sound of your violin. Just imagine what an all titanium violin could do....
July 18, 2019, 10:31 AM · " I would be concerned about titanium, a very hard metal, against fragile soft aluminum or chromed metal windings wrapped around synthetic or natural thread cores at a high pressure point, narrow fulcrum."

The fulcrum is domed. It's not a sharp point. This is the sort of thing where either you try it or you don't, and if you're using Goldbrokat E strings like me, snapping an E string isn't going to put you in the poor house.

July 18, 2019, 10:33 AM · Andy wrote, "Parchment is a natural product, actually stiff leather." I think that is the "sheepskin" the manufacturers of this titanium device are referring to, that you will no longer need.

What happens is the "parchment" gets deformed too, and you end up having to find just the right deformation to lay your E string over when you restring your violin -- hardly seems an ideal material to me.

July 18, 2019, 12:35 PM · I'm happy to mail anyone one of these to try as I don't need 4 of them. I'll just use/try 2 on both my violins.

July 18, 2019, 1:30 PM · Paul: I have tiny E-string grooves in my violin bridges. When the parchment gets too worn I replace it over the bridge groove and position the string where it was before and "voila" back to normal.

I will try a Ti clip if and when STRADPET's dealer accepts my PayPal.

Edited: July 18, 2019, 11:03 PM · "Changing from chrome-plated brass CR hardware to titanium CR hardware changed the tone of my violin from a cheap eBay VSO to near Strad levels ... "

Uhmmm, okey dokey. ;-)

August 8, 2019, 9:24 AM · Took several weeks for the clips to arrive. I honestly don’t hear any difference with the clip. Oh well!
August 8, 2019, 6:29 PM · It doesnt hurt to try for a better sound and experiment with new material Mrs. Colvin. Although there is a large number of folks here who will disagree with me, I think when you make any kind of setup change it can take a day or two for this change to be optimal or maybe even get worse. Just my ears and experience.
August 8, 2019, 8:06 PM · Amen Jeff! I love trying different things and it’s a lot of fun.
August 13, 2019, 9:34 AM · Thank you Jamie for reporting your impression, much appreciated :-)
August 13, 2019, 9:46 AM · Jamie was kind enough to send me one of the bridge protectors and I agree with her assessment.
I found that the overall volume of the E string was not affected much at all however, I lost a lot of overtones and harmonics especially in the upper register.
So I took it off.
Paul
August 13, 2019, 9:48 AM · Obviously gluing milligrams' worth of metal shavings to your bridge isn't going to make any difference in the sound. The problem it's trying to solve is the practical one of E strings getting pinched by the bridge.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe