Newly released recordings of Erick Friedman by Melo Classic

Edited: July 15, 2019, 2:26 PM · Erick Friedman Live Performances in France (1965–1968): This CD set includes the first ever published performance of Erick Friedman playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto. On the 2nd disc in the set is a recital accompanied by pianist Joseph Seiger (Elman's favorite accompanist). Looks like a lot of exciting repertoire played by my teacher!

https://www.meloclassic.com/shop/erick-friedman-2/

Replies (10)

July 15, 2019, 4:49 PM · Looking forward to hearing Friedman. Thanks Nate for bringing this important recording to our attention!
July 15, 2019, 9:46 PM · My pleasure Paul! I just ordered my copy today and look forward to hearing these previously unreleased performances for the first time!
July 16, 2019, 7:32 AM · Nate, thank you for the heads-up, I enjoy Mr. Friedman's playing very much.
July 16, 2019, 4:07 PM · J I, no problem!
July 16, 2019, 5:26 PM · I'm looking to receiving my copy. I attended a performance of the Brahms Concerto by Friedman about 50 years ago.
July 17, 2019, 2:41 PM · Very neat Andrew. In California? I worked on the Brahms quite a bit with him. Do you remember what cadenza he used? I wanted to learn the Heifetz Cadenza, but he felt the Joachim fit better with the 1st movement. I think he said he played both cadenzas in his career.
August 2, 2019, 10:05 AM · Mr. Friedman's showpieces (Wieniawski & Saint-Saens) are sparkling!

I found it interesting that he seemed to prefer the Joachim cadenza for the Beethoven in his live performances...especially in an era when the Kreisler and Heifetz were all the rage.

I remember hearing a bootleg recording Mr. Friedman did with pianist James Dick - Saint Saens sonata and Prokofiev. Quite excellent.

August 2, 2019, 1:15 PM · Nate, now to find time to listen to Friedman's CDs (2).

I do not recall which cadenza he played. It was probably in the early 1970s, or even late '60s. It was in Ridgecrest, CA with the Kern Philharmonic, which fielded about 80-85 musicians, many from LA (now called the "Bakersfield Symphony"). It was not an acoustically designed hall (the general purpose room of the local high school).

Since at that time the only violin concerto concerts I had previously attended were Heifetz (Beethoven Concerto - Baltimore Symphony, I was in the balcony above the soloist) and Stern (Brahms Concerto - National Symphony, I sat in the first row) I was used to an overwhelming sound from the soloist, much like I was used to from recordings. Much of Friedman's sound did not come through that way, but instead created an amazing blend with the orchestra with penetrating violin overtones, so the orchestrating genius of the composer really shone through. In a way, for me it was probably the most educational concert I have ever attended.

August 4, 2019, 2:22 PM · Thank you Nate for keeping Mr. Friedman's memory alive. Erick Friedman was a frequent visitor to Miami (I had a front row seat when he played the Brahms Violin Concerto with the Miami Philharmonic at the Gusman Center in Downtown Miami!) and Miami Beach and I never failed to see him when he was in South Florida. My first impression of him was being awed by his tremendous height and deep resonant voice. He was so tall and I was just a short 14 year old kid then. But I will always be grateful for his kindness and attention toward me. After his recital in Miami Beach, I went backstage to meet him. He did not shoo me off after autographing my program, but rather he listened attentively about my violin playing and what I was working on. A gentle giant and great artist who left us all way too soon. You are very fortunate to have been his student and I congratulate you for keeping the Auer-Heifetz-Friedman tradition of violin playing alive.
August 9, 2019, 5:29 PM · I remember reading once that Mr. Friedman added the “k” to his first name so the number of letters (13) would be identical to Heifetz and Kreisler. :D

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases