What do you think about Schumann sonata?

Edited: July 11, 2019, 10:02 AM · Hi. Today my teacher gave me Schumann sonata n1 a minor 1st mov. I really like it and
i think I've never read anything about this piece. I would like to know your opinion: do you think it's a difficult piece? When did u learn it? What should I play after this sonata?

Ps: I play the violin for 12 years

Replies (17)

July 11, 2019, 4:00 AM · I performed it last year - I think you can tell a really great piece, and for me this was, if you still love it after working on it that hard! Not difficult technically, but wonderful if you are expressive yourself.
July 11, 2019, 5:30 AM · And what piece do you think I should play after Schumann sonata?
July 11, 2019, 12:37 PM · nr 2
July 11, 2019, 2:25 PM · Depends on what you've done before I guess - but I'm not a teacher. What does yours suggest? Pieces are often chosen to work on your weaknesses or to show your strengths.
July 11, 2019, 3:54 PM · Elise Stanley: I've played
Hungarian dance n5/n2
Bach a minor
Sicilienne rigaudon
I've also read Haydn c major(I hate this concert) , viotti 23, beriot a minor and kabalevsky violin concerto

This year I had 3 teachers
One of them said I should play kabalevsky,
The other one said Mozart 3/5

I don't know which one I should play. I like Mozart, specially n5 but I'd like to suggest bruch g minor. Do you think it is too advanced?

Edited: July 11, 2019, 4:19 PM · You should do Kabalevsky and Mozart before Bruch.

Many students are not assigned violin/piano sonata repertoire before conservatory because of the difficulty of pianist collaboration -- i.e. finding a peer who will study the piano part and having the many rehearsals really needed to make it a good experience.

Edited: July 11, 2019, 4:44 PM · Do you think i should be more advanced as I've been playing the violin for 12 years? I started when I was 4 yo
Edited: July 11, 2019, 5:23 PM · If you can find a pianist capable of playing the Schumann sonatas with you you should do all 3. They are "readable" and then worth working on to get to their core.

My 50 years experience playing works of this nature with 4 pianists who could (and some who couldn't) is that it all goes best if your pianist can do a credible job sight reading them. The real work comes later. If the pianist cannot do that, chances are you will not stay around long enough for sufficient improvement.

Edited: July 11, 2019, 5:44 PM · I think that's a wonderful way to interpretate the importance of violin-piano's "relationship"
Besides Schumann sonatas, do you recommend any other sonatas?
July 11, 2019, 6:25 PM · All 3 Brahms sonatas, the sonatas of Mozart and Beethoven, as well as Grieg, Faure No. 1, Franck, Ravel, Richard Strauss.
Edited: July 11, 2019, 7:01 PM · "Do you think i should be more advanced as I've been playing the violin for 12 years?"

If you're playing that stuff really well, then you're doing fine, I think. There are students who got farther in 12 years, but that's always going to be true.

I know what you mean about the Haydn C Major. If you're going to play that you might as well play Mozart.

July 11, 2019, 10:25 PM · "Should" be more advanced is a complex question and it depends on the quality of the teaching you've received, and how well you practice, and how much you practice daily.

You certainly could be more advanced. Whether your investment to date should have yielded more advancement is impossible to say.

July 12, 2019, 8:07 AM · If you always have three different teachers you might have a problem advancing in anything like a straight line! If there is no logistic issue, why not commit to one and follow their course?

Without a main teacher to keep you on track and encourage you to work on your weaknesses, it is so easy to dissipate your efforts, slowing down your progress.

July 12, 2019, 8:09 AM · By the way, I love to work on sonatas - its a lot easier finding a pianist (and yes, you usually have to pay them else you generally get one that can not keep up) than an orchestra! One way to do this is to work hard on the violin part and then go to a summer festival to work with the pianist and perform.
Edited: July 12, 2019, 9:00 AM · Lots of students end up with 3 teachers in a year. That happens when you do a teacher switch and attend a summer festival where you study with a third teacher. Or, you take a strings class in school and study a second instrument, where the teachers will give their feedback, sometimes in an off-the-cuff way that's not intended to interfere with what your private teacher does. More context is needed before assuming he "always" studies with 3 teachers.

Given your past repertoire, I think you should consider these pieces after the Schumann:
Beethoven sonata No. 5 "Spring"
Mozart sonatas
Monti Csardas
Kreisler Praeludium and Allegro

The last two are not sonatas, but they are a typical next step in the non-concerto literature. Reading the above suggestions, I personally think the third Schumann Sonata is way too hard to put together for someone at your repertoire level/experience, and I wouldn't work on Ravel or Strauss until much later too.

July 12, 2019, 9:37 AM · I agree with the whole of Frieda's post. My suggestions were intended as "listen to these for fun" not as "play these in the future".

Some kids who go to a music high school or the like might be lucky enough to find pianist partners, but in most cases the piano part of a sonata is more difficult than the violin part and the pianist has to invest a lot of time into it unless you're playing a work that all the pianists already know. Also, it can be more fun to play these works with a peer, because you get into more back-and-forth dialogue about how you want them to sound. (Working with a professional can be very helpful in terms of them making suggestions to you, though.)

July 12, 2019, 10:22 AM · I agree with Freida too! Sometimes things seem a little hasty because we can only go with the information provided. If we put in every proviso these posts would never stop!

Are you currently studying violin in college Afonso? For some reason I did not get that impression but if so then I get Freida's point that you are very likely to work with multiple teachers. Perhaps there is one in particular that you work best with and that can advise you. After Schumann I worked on Brahms #1 and Mozart V, both of which seem consistent with the advice above.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra