Chin rest that’s slightly off center?

Edited: July 17, 2019, 4:47 AM · Hi,
So originally I was looking for a chin rest that was like the sas. But that’s not exactly what I’m looking for now. I took off the chin rest to see where my jaw/chin naturally goes and it goes right next to the tailpiece. So I need a chin rest that allows me to be able to do that. Would that be some kind of center mount chin rest like a Berber or flesch or something else like a wittner or some other chinrest that’s a little more off to the side but not something like a Kaufman?

Update: I now attach the sponge to my violin with a rubber band instead of putting it under my shirt to prevent the violin from slipping. It was causing me to clench and raise my shoulder a bit although not as much as when I was using a regular shoulder rest.

Replies (17)

Edited: July 10, 2019, 10:49 PM · I think you will be hard pressed to find a chin rest as good and for a lower price then the SAS. Just remembered, a wooden chin rest can be carved and sanded some to be better adapted to you. I carved the cup of my SAS deeper to give me better grip. You might want to check out a Stubber.
July 11, 2019, 1:01 PM · What else have you tried and liked? The $50 is really worth it if you're going to play for the rest of your life. Chinrests last a lifetime. If you rreally hate to spend the money, your best bet is to try more chinrests. It sounds like you would enjoy one of the flatter side-mounted chinrests.
July 11, 2019, 1:05 PM · $39.89 including shipping from fiddlershop
July 11, 2019, 1:39 PM · Ella I have also tried besides the dresden a flesch model, guarneri, and a berber. The flesch was close, but too tall. The dresden was okay, but the lip really dug into my jaw even after having the luthier shave it down. The berber was great, except I never tried it with my current SR situation. It was when I was using a wolf secondo (which is too tall).
July 11, 2019, 5:49 PM · Some more chinrests to try: Teka, Vermeer, Joachim, Kreisler, Gordon, Wittner, and whatever else you can get your hands on.
July 12, 2019, 10:24 PM · Would the wittner be close? I think I like the SAS because there are quite a few orientations and positions that you can put it on the instrument. It turns out that I like it to where it hangs a little bit over the tailpiece. And the wittner looks like it goes in the same place.
July 13, 2019, 8:58 PM · I unfortunately don't know how a wittner compares to a sas because i've never seen a sas before (although I'm familiar with Wittner). It's worth trying, of course. The cup is pretty comparable to Flesch flat, I think.
July 13, 2019, 10:27 PM · are there any chinrests or chinrest pads made with thermoplastic such that it could be soaked in hot water, put on the violin, and the player then forms it to their jaw line by playing the violin and perhaps applying a little pressure with their head?
July 14, 2019, 12:13 AM · David, try the impressionist modable chinrest cover. It does exactly what you describe.
July 17, 2019, 4:48 AM · Bumping up the thread with an updated question.
July 17, 2019, 5:47 AM · If you've tried a bunch and none work, consider getting one custom-made. Frisch & Denig can make a centered or half-centered version of almost anything. I use a Frisch & Denig chinrest based on the Brandt, but cut along the inside edge so that it can be placed much closer to the tailpiece.
Edited: July 17, 2019, 11:37 AM · If you're looking for a chinrest that's slightly off center, I would suggest a side mount that reaches slightly over the tailpiece, such as the Wittner (side mount version, since the Wittner comes in both side and center mount), Teka or Vermeer. Although they are side mounted, they do extend over the tailpiece a fair bit. I would say that unless you put a large chunk of your chin on the chinrest or you have a wide chin, a standard center mount will probably be a little too centered for you. One option is to try a Wittner center mount and place it slightly left of center. The Wittner center mount has a wider tailpiece opening than most other wooden center mounts on the market. It will still be center mounted but most of the chinrest will be on the left side of the tailpiece. It is possible to use sandpaper to widen the tunnel of a wooden center mount, but you're never going to get it as wide as a Wittner.
July 17, 2019, 1:04 PM · Buy a Kréddle. One and done.
July 17, 2019, 3:05 PM · Why do people start sentences with the word "so"?
July 17, 2019, 3:59 PM · You know what Paul I have no idea. I just did it without thinking. Maybe it’s our way of saying “here’s a story” like a “so there I was” type of thing.
Edited: July 17, 2019, 4:16 PM · Adding an "IMPRESSIONIST"** might allow you to shape the top of any chinrest to a perfect fit.

**The Impressionist can be cut to smaller sizes to fit one's needs.

July 17, 2019, 5:38 PM · I really liked a Schulze-Priska chinrest, which is mounted over the tailpiece centrally, but extends left. I recently got a SAS, which I like even better. I modified the Schulze-Priska with some thicker cork pads to raise it slightly. It all seems to be trial and error, but both might be worth a look for a center/left/high chinrest.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra