New Codabow Marquise Aero bow

July 8, 2019, 2:17 PM · Has anyone played one? I love my Codabow Diamond GX, perfect for playing Bartok! I know there is no comparison to a high end Pernambuco bow but I am certainly curious about this one.

Replies (12)

July 8, 2019, 3:25 PM · The comparison to "high-end pernambuco" becomes useless once the price edges beyond what one can afford.
July 8, 2019, 4:38 PM · That’s fine and all. I’m just curious what it plays like and hope someone out there has direct experience with it.
July 8, 2019, 5:21 PM · I've used the Codabow Marquise GS, not the Aero. I compared with a $4000 Pfretzchner Workshop bow. The marquise was more agile and precise in fast passages and overall a lighter bow, and to my fingers it was better balanced than the wood bow. The Pfretzschner bow definitely had more bite and a deeper, more resonant sound however, and once you got used to it you could pull more sound of my modern violin, plus it was no slouch either. Both had a beautiful sound, however I think the codabow was just slightly lacking in body compared to the pernambuco,
Edited: July 11, 2019, 8:48 PM · People are going to have to become used to carbon fibre bows as the stock of Pernambuco dwindles. A ban on the international trade of pernambuco is still a possibility.

Ipe wood may come to replace pernambuco.

Edited: July 11, 2019, 9:25 PM · I have the Marquise GS, not the Aero. I've been using a Diamond GX for years and I still keep going back to that for more gutsy playing. The Marquise is good for fast nimble stuff but I'm a bit disappointed that I have to swap bows. It's good at some things but bad at others. Very steady in the hand but hard to make it do anything but make a very standard tone - it just seems to settle into the string and won't allow much nuance. Good for classical players, which is who it is aimed at. Nimble but not overly powerful though it does draw a good tone. Overall a good bow - it just depends what and how you play.
Edited: July 11, 2019, 11:11 PM · The Codabow Marquise Aero is one of four standard designs from the Marquise "Custom" series. They all use the exact same stick as the Marquise GS, and differ from it only by the design/materials of the frog/button/grip. So if someone has tried the Marquise GS, in essence they've tried the Aero too. (I haven't tried any of them.)
July 12, 2019, 2:31 AM · I recently bought a Marquise GS. I evaluated it alongside a Codabow Diamond GX, a Musing C5 and a John Paul Carrera.

The Marquise won out on tone, responsiveness and feel. It was, for me, a very clear winner, and an easy decision to take to buy it at the end of the evaluation period (which was a week, so I got a reasonable chance to try them all on a variety of difference pieces - Bach, Mozart, Mendelsohn, Schindlers List etc.). As Thierno says, it is light and agile. I found differently to Christopher in that for me, the bow draws a beautiful tone and I can inject light and shade into passages that were previously a little dull. I'm working on Mozart 3 at the moment, and it works beautifully with the nuanced bowing demanded by the piece.

My previous bow was pernambuco - probably not a "good" pernambuco bow, but the Marquise beat it hands down in every respect. I can't see me ever picking it up again.

In terms of how it compare to the others:

Musing C5 - quite a harsh tone, thought quite responsive (not as much as the Marquise though)
Diamond GX - pretty good, but just not the Marquise
John Paul - a close second to the Marquise. Excellent tone, just not quite as responsive

July 12, 2019, 6:08 AM · Tony - which JonPaul bow did you try? I tested the Marquise and several other Codabows against the JonPaul Carrera and for me the Carrera was a clear winner.
July 12, 2019, 7:57 AM · Hi Bo - it was the John Paul Carrera. It was my favourite for a couple of days, but the one I kept going back to was the Marquise. I think the main thing that swung the Marquise ahead of the Carrera was the way it felt in the hand, especially when playing fast pieces such as the Gigue from Partita No. 2

But I do think the Carrera is an excellent bow (in my limited experience)

July 12, 2019, 8:18 AM · When I did testing of CF bows, I did the Diamond GX, JonPaul Carrera and the Marquise and I ended up choosing the Diamond GX which I find myself using much more over my Grimm pernambuco bow.

But I kind of want to revisit the Marquise as I have now I have an Italian violin....maybe another trial needs to be had?!

July 12, 2019, 1:43 PM · When I was searching for a CF bow ,among others, I had sent to me 2 Marquises and 2 Carreras. Both brands were the best of the lot, however both Marquises were different as well as both Carreras. I ended up getting one of each because the one Marquise worked best for one of my violins and one of the Carreras worked best on my other go-to violin.
So I found even with CF bows you best off to try a number of them if possible.
July 12, 2019, 6:23 PM · I got a Codabow Prodigy for my Cello, I like it but I don't have anything to compare it to.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition