Shoulder is sore due to chin rest?

Edited: July 8, 2019, 5:17 AM · My shoulder tends to get sore. I’m not sure if I should purchase a higher chin rest cause the chin rest on my violin seems too low. I have tried adjusting my shoulder rest higher but it doesn’t help.
What chin rest do you recommend?

Replies (7)

July 7, 2019, 8:42 AM · Go to a shop with many options try them all. And then also you can try things like the wave chinrest, or kreddle.
However should tension is likely not to do with chin rest. You likely have postural issues ( unbalanced neck, raising the shoulder) for me personally I’m having a similar issue and what’s been helping me is giving up the shoulder rest.
I would recommend having a good teacher help you with this. Find a chin rest you love and are passionate about. And then find a shoulder rest that matches. Mathus could also include things like sponges and pads.
July 7, 2019, 11:14 AM · I have always had to re-carve my chinrests - and I don't think my jawbone is particularly wierd. I adapt Teka-style rests. I find Guarneri rests to be complete torture, while many like them.

If you tilt the violin round its axis, (to better reach the lower strings with stubby fingers), The chin-rest must be modified accordingly.

Edited: July 7, 2019, 2:24 PM · I am no expert, by no means. However, I do know quite a lot about trashed shoulders and neck issues as I've both, among other things. Hopefully your shoulder is fine, but am mentioning this just in case. For me, I found that a low CR and higher SR led to shoulder instability and pain. The solution turned out to be a much higher CR (for me the adjustable Wittner Zuerich set as high as it will go) combined with a SR set pretty low. Shoulder quite happy, neck not apparently aware anything changed at all.
July 7, 2019, 3:37 PM · Left or right?
July 7, 2019, 5:08 PM · I was thinking of getting this tekka chin rest that is adjustable. https://www.simplyforstrings.com.au/products/teka-height-adjustable-violin-chin-rest?variant=13016968003678¤cy=AUD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9eq9Oij4wIVVB0rCh3N6QcfEAQYASABEgI2S_D_BwE
Edited: July 8, 2019, 2:42 AM · I use the Wave chinrest. My neck is fairly long and I have found this chinrest to be very comfortable. Wavechinrest.com.
Edited: July 10, 2019, 4:33 AM · My Teka adjustments:
- lower the left side/raise the right side for my 30° tilt on violin, 45 on viola (The bow moves nearly vertically on the viola A)
- with the rounded side of a file, make adip in the left half of the "lip" to allow my delicate jawbone to "escape".
Edit: the result seems similar to the above-mentioned Wave CR, but being side mounted, I can make sideways adjustments.

My Hun Bravo:
- The wide end sits on the collarbone, near the little curly bit, but never overlapping onto the mobile part of the shoulder;
- the rest of the rest follows round in front of the collarbone, leaning on the chest.

With my very sloping shoulders, I need long "legs" on the Kun.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra