Trouble with D sharp C natural and A chord

July 5, 2019, 8:40 PM · Hi all, adult beginner here. I'm working on the Seitz Concerto No.5 in D Major (3rd piece in Suzuki book 4) and am having a lot of trouble with this particular chord.

In the measure, it goes from a D sharp and C natural chord to a C natural and A (on E string) chord with a note to keep the first finger on D sharp. I can't seem to move my third finger (ring finger) to the A while keeping the second finger on C natural. Either the C becomes sharp, or the A is flat. My violin teacher can reach her third finger effortlessly for this part. Any tips on how to solve this? Thanks :D

Replies (3)

July 5, 2019, 9:51 PM · Make sure your hand position is correct and properly centered and balanced on the middle finger.
July 6, 2019, 5:59 PM · One way to understand what's going wrong is to hold the violin under your chin as normal, put your bow down (you're not going to need it for this), loosen up and relax your left hand as well as you can, and then, with your right hand gently move the left hand fingers you're having a problem with to the notes you want them on - don't use force. This should be possible if, as I said, you left hand is sufficiently relaxed.

When you get those fingers in the right positions look at the position and configuration of your (relaxed) left hand, because that is what you're aiming for when you're playing.

If you find it awkward or difficult to move your left fingers with your right hand then ask someone (teacher, ideally) to move them for you.

An alternative approach is to hold the violin in a guitar playing position and find the left hand finger positions that way. Then, keeping the fingers in that position, move the violin up to the normal playing position. If your left hand and arm are relaxed enough then they will naturally adopt the position to play those notes. If you can't do this then you haven't yet got the required level of relaxation in the left hand and arm.

I've used these little tricks myself successfully in the past.

Edited: July 7, 2019, 3:38 PM · Taking up Lydia's suggestion, try:

- one finger on each string, Ab, F, D, B: I find the 1st finger is leaning right back, almost on its side, and the 2nd finger a bit less;

- one finger on each string, the other way, F, C, G, D: now, to have a curved pinky on the D, the others are so curled that they they may have to push their strings to the right rather than down onto the fingerboard.

As Trevor suggests, there occasions when the hand must adopt a rather guitar-like shape; we must start with what the hand can do, then work towards what we think it should do...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition