Aquila V twist --- what is it?

July 5, 2019, 9:18 AM · Was thinking about trying Aquila gut strings since they're cheaper and have some interesting features (half-rectified strings, Venice twist).

I heard the V twist gut is a roped gut like the Gamut pistoy string. But how exactly is it made? Does it really shrink so much that you have to buy a string 0.08 mm larger than what you want to achieve the correct tension after stretching?

Replies (17)

July 5, 2019, 5:20 PM · Indeed, the strings must be ordered thicket-they are extremely flexible.

When I flex one in the hand it bounces right back. :D

Think of them as sounding like a less-bright gimped string-the lack of woven metal means less top harmonics, but they atill have some of a similar bite (and feel great, no woven wire to disrupt the fingers vs the other plain strings).

July 5, 2019, 5:27 PM · Interesting.
Have you ever taken one apart to see how it's made?
The pistoy string, for example, is three small gut strings twisted into one larger string. The V twist is something similar?
Edited: July 6, 2019, 8:22 AM · Cotton, some links here that may be useful:
https://www.cremonatools.com/aquila
https://www.aquilausa.com/v-type
https://bridgewoodandneitzert.london/product/aquila-violin-strings-2/
July 6, 2019, 1:50 PM · Tequila with a twist? Where's mine?
July 6, 2019, 4:47 PM · You're too young to drink, Paul.
Edited: July 7, 2019, 6:43 PM · @Cotton Mather: The V string are similar, but one twisted strand if I recall correctly (not about to destroy one out of curiosity!)

PS: Not 0.08 mm thicker, just 7 percent of string diameter for E-A and 3 percent for D.

I bought the historically accurate, hardcore heaviest gauges.

On violin

E-0.76, stretches to 0.7 mm

A (V-type) 0.97, stretches to 0.9

D (V-type) 1.24, stretches to 1.2 mm

G (silver, core is 0.9 mm A) stable at 1.07 mm

Fat troopers, but the sound is very full and rich (the pizz is to die for!)

I also have two sets in silk similar gauge, would you like the spare? :)

July 7, 2019, 6:34 PM · I believe the Aquila strings are gauged for A = 415 or something in that ballpark.

Strings that heavy do technically work, but they become far too stiff for me. They can be great if the music you're playing is a lot of loud detache scales up and down, but it's game over for something like Paganini's caprice no. 6, for example.

I have a whole cardboard tube full of guts of all different sizes I have to get rid of before I add any more, but thanks for asking.

Edited: July 8, 2019, 8:46 PM · @Cotton: The V is a double twist gut, twisted at almost an 80 degree angle. :)

So, ultra elastic. :)

July 7, 2019, 6:44 PM · I am interested in gut as well. How are they in terms of longevity wound gut and gamut alike? I've seen some sets that are rather expensive and then some that are not so much. What are the main differences between wound gut and gamut?
July 7, 2019, 6:46 PM · Also, seeing as Paganini's own E string is recorded at the medium standard of the day of E=0.7 mm un-stretched, the problem nowadays is the lighter less springy bows that hate gut, lack of real firm grip rosin and general dislike of any bow noise.

And Pag tuned to about 435 or so, so the argument of lower pitch meaning less stiffness flies away in horror. ;D

July 7, 2019, 6:55 PM · @Christian: Wound gut is mellow and rich but lacks the bounce and raw punch of plain.

Also, most wound gut will be smushed by any heavier bowing.

Eudoxa: Extremely beautiful sound, but any gauge of the standard model is too delicate (except maybe extra-heavy-go for Eudoxa stiff)

Oliv: Warm, but they sound a bit 'wiry' because they have less gut-to-winding ratio than others. Also, the A never stays in tune.
.... ever...

Passione: Warm, but sounds and feels like a gutty synthetic than an actual gut because the winding is actually heavier than the amount of gut per string... :O

Pirastro Chorda: The usual only gut stores carry, I find these cheaply made. Far too thin, they are all crushed by the bow and the D is a poor, flabby mess of a string with little volume... :/

Dlugolecki/Aquila: Very fat, rich round spund, the pizz is amazing.

Aquila has the thickest gauges (see my above post for them:) whereas Dlug keeps his heaviest gauges more mainstream (similar to Gamut, which I have not tried).

There is also Kurschner, George Stoppani, Boston Catlines and a few others-but Aquila remains my favourite. :)

Gimped strings (I tried a Gamut D I think?) Are interesting. The wire means the strings is a springy and rather brightly gut sound that responds much better but the wire running through it and the excessive edge vs the plain A made me not love it 100% (perhaps the V type A would match better with it). :)

July 7, 2019, 7:02 PM · A. O.,

Don't they describe it as a roped string? Maybe when your strings wear out, pull one apart so you can better see how it's made.

Christian,

Wound gut lasts longer than plain gut. Personally, I don't like wound gut on the middle strings, though.
Pirastro's wound gut has a silk wrap underneath the metal winding which increases the internal damping of the string and makes the sound very squishy. Plain gut has more character to the sound. It's grittier and sweeter, if you can imagine what that would sound like.

July 7, 2019, 9:15 PM · What gauges of the eudoxa stiff would you recommend for each string? The heaviest one available? Would plain gut be something feasible for a college student or should I stay with wound gut? And are there ways to prolong the life of either wound or plain gut?
July 7, 2019, 9:33 PM · Also, where would you recommend getting eudoxas?
July 7, 2019, 11:08 PM · I recommend getting a set of heavy Tricolore strings as an introduction to gut.
Eudoxas are wound gut with silk wrap. I remember not being particularly impressed with Eudoxas, although it was a long time ago. I guess you could buy them from Shar if you're bent on Eudoxa.

Plain gut can be preserved with light drying oils, like walnut or almond oil. I use boiled linseed oil because it happens to be what I have in my basement.

July 8, 2019, 12:04 AM · I'm not bent on Eudoxas. They are just want a lot of people recommend after doing other research especially in terms of wound gut. Either those or Passione. Where would I get these Tricolore strings? As for the oil, how would I use it?
July 8, 2019, 8:48 PM · @Cotton: Corrected earlier post on the V type's manufacture.

They are almost surely two strands twisted into one-you can't get such a high twist otherwise without destroying the string's firmness (and on close inspection you can also see both strands within the string under bright light). :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition