Rosin Selection for Electric Violin/Cello

July 5, 2019, 6:24 AM · I'm looking for some opinions, preferably from anyone that's played an electric, if your choice of rosin will give you the same subtle differences on an electric stringed instrument, in the same manner it would for an acoustic?

Replies (4)

July 5, 2019, 7:23 AM · I have an NS electric violin and use my Arcos Brazil bow. I’ve tried my other bows and a few different rosins. My impression is that quite a few things technically make a lot less difference with an electric, possibly including the rosin. The most striking difference to me is the utter lack of ring-tones that are so useful as intonation guideposts. It’s tuned the same, but it’s a different instrument.
Edited: July 5, 2019, 8:42 AM · Interesting...i’ve Recently bought a Yamaha electric, so I can practice whenever I want. I’m learning 3rd position, so listening for this, and the electric seems to resonate more than tha acoustic ( which I did not expect)
Not advanced enough to comment on rosin
July 5, 2019, 7:54 AM · It wouldn’t surprise me if there were significant differences among different models. I suspect it’s very dependent on the type of transducer. The NS uses a piezoelectric principle and maybe ringtones from other strings get diminished somehow. Or maybe I’m just playing out of tune...
July 5, 2019, 8:39 AM · I have a NS WAV4 Violin and my WAV4 Cello will be here in a couple weeks.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition