Are violins cheaper in the countries of their origin?

July 5, 2019, 5:14 AM · Hello, I feel like the German and Italian violins are a bit overpriced in my country. Are the same German and Italian violins cheaper in Germany and Italy respectively compared to other countries?

Replies (9)

July 5, 2019, 6:22 AM · According to economy, they totally should. The difference, excluding taxes, between the same Germany made violin sold in Germany and sold in USA is that in Germany, the price is X, and in USA, the price is X + shipping the violin from Germany to USA (and violins are not solid boxes).

Anyways, it really depends on what people are willing to pay. It could be that in Germany, the price is $1499, and in USA, because people are not willing to pay that much, it could be $1249.

I guess you're talking about mass produced violins, not luthier violins. In that case, the company will want to make as much profit as possible, and if it happens that in one specific country, they must lower the price in order to sell the violins, they will do it. That would mean less profit per unit but more profit in general terms (more units sold).

July 5, 2019, 11:25 AM · They are only cheaper in countries where there isn't a demand for violins.
July 5, 2019, 1:11 PM · It totally depends on tolls and taxes. The same product will be 1% cheaper in Germany than in Austria because of different tax rates, for example. The same Italian photo camera accessoire was way more expensive when I ordered it via an Israelian ebay seller (without noticing it) than if I had bought it right away in the shop nearby, because of shipping back to the EU and reimport toll and taxes. I learned that lesson...
July 5, 2019, 3:06 PM · This is a globalized market. But I am not sure about Asia.... I've heard about crazy prices in some Asian coutries.
July 9, 2019, 8:32 AM · It depends on whether you buy the violin directly from the maker. Italian makers will often allow you to commission a violin for much less than it would cost to purchase the instrument from a dealer.
Edited: July 9, 2019, 10:37 AM · You can probably get a Strad in Pyongyang for $1000 if you have American currency.
July 11, 2019, 6:05 PM · I know of a couple of instances where some makers' work is somewhat more highly valued in their own city - Berger in New York and Becker in Chicago.
July 11, 2019, 8:40 PM · Raphel,

Do you still play that beautiful Vittorio Villa instrument?

July 11, 2019, 10:36 PM · Yes - on two of them actually!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition