Old violin with Hebrew written Seals from 6th and 7th Books of Moses

Edited: July 3, 2019, 4:58 PM · Update: I have now loaded pictures of my violin and the labels inside my violin to Dropbox at the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zza0ch8587q8fv6/AABc1_THX3DsxjbIdOzfnRaHa?dl=0

If any experts could help me to understand if you know anyone that used to include these seals inside a violin and maybe a maker of the violin as the label was removed? Thank you so much to all as this is such a mystery to me!
Here is my original thread:
I have an old violin that my parents bought me when I was in 7th grade, many years ago as I am now 43 years old. I knew the violin was old and sounded amazing. I also knew that there were three labels inside my violin but never cared much about it until recently. I have been trying to find further details about the violin, why the original label has been removed, why there is a tiny cursive, lowercase “h” written inside, and why there are three labels inside that I have found are seals from the sixth and seventh Books of Moses written in Hebrew. Has anyone ever seen an old violin with these seals of Moses inside them? I have not had the violin appraised or anything like that but the inside of the violin is a mystery and I’m so curious to find out what the seals mean and who would put these inside a violin.

Thank you to all!

Replies (8)

Edited: June 30, 2019, 5:52 AM · Photos of the violin, front, back, side, including the scroll, and of the labels within would be of great help to the experts here.

Concerning the apocryphal 6th and 7th Books of Moses, there is a specific article in Wikipedia, which suggests there could be some history behind this violin.

Edited: June 30, 2019, 1:30 PM · http://www.violinsofhopecle.org/about/the-founder/

Amnon Weinstein is who I would suggest you contact. If he can not help, he will know who can help.

I would love to see photographs.

June 30, 2019, 7:37 PM · Thank you both, Trevor and Duane. I’m going to figure out how to download pictures and will add them soon. I have contacted Mr. Amnon Weinstein and he said it looked like an old German violin but he couldn’t help me any further. The labels or pictures from the 6th and 7th Books of Moses are old and had to have been placed inside the violin when it was created or taken apart as one of the seals isn’t even close to the f bikes. I can’t find any country of origin or anything saying “made in Germany” and have searched and searched. It has definitely served me well but where it came from and the history might just be left unknown forever. I just don’t want to give up hope in finding more out so I truly appreciate all the help I can get.
Edited: July 1, 2019, 7:39 PM · Okay I have added pics of my violin plus the best pics I can get taken through the f holes and uploaded to Dropbox. Hopefully this link works so you all can see what I’m seeing inside my violin. The only picture I can’t get clear is the letter “h” inside the violin.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zza0ch8587q8fv6/AABc1_THX3DsxjbIdOzfnRaHa?dl=0

Please let me know your thoughts or if you have ever seen seals from the 6th and 7th Books of Moses inside a violin.

Thank you so much!

July 6, 2019, 7:58 PM · Do any experts have any further information they could provide regarding my violin that has Hebrew writing inside that are seals from the 6th and 7th Books of Moses?

Any further input would be greatly appreciated!

July 6, 2019, 8:40 PM · I wish I could help more but perhaps try posting here, https://maestronet.com/

Post your information in the “peg box”

Someone there might have some insight or can perhaps point you in the right direction!

July 7, 2019, 6:00 AM · Don't know anything about the labels but it looks like a half decent violin
July 7, 2019, 9:05 PM · Thank you Kim and Lyndon. I will post some information on the website Kim provided. The violin is awesome, it always has been and served me well through middle school, high school, college, playing at weddings and other events. The curiosity of the labels is what has me so interested because no one seems to have seen these types of labels inside a violin before. I have done research on the 6th and 7th Books of Moses and it seems they were used for good luck or protection from harm a very long time ago. I believe the violin is an old German violin but not certain on this either because I can’t find anything stating “made in Germany” or anything like that. The chin rest has Germany on it but that’s all and I’m not sure the chin rest is an original from when the violin was made. You can see where an actual label of who made the violin used to be inside the violin but was removed. Anyhow, I truly appreciate your input and hoping I can continue my search with anyone knowing why these labels were put inside the violin.

If anyone else has any input feel free to reply!

Thank you!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra