Who is/are your favorite musician(s) ??

June 29, 2019, 10:51 AM · Do you have any favorite musician(s)?

I love Gidon Kremer, James Ehnes and Maxim Vengerov :))

Replies (28)

June 29, 2019, 10:59 AM · Jerry Garcia, Willie Nelson, and that great baroque violinist (now conductor) Andrew Manze:

https://andrewmanze.com/recordings/

I also admire the early music players local to me, especially Michael Rigsby and his Elm City Consort:

http://www.elmcityconsort.org/

Edited: June 29, 2019, 12:30 PM · Myself?...

I'm kidding. Roman Kim all the way.

June 29, 2019, 2:15 PM · Martin Hayes, Bonnie Rideout, Alisdare Fraiser, Bruce Molskey, Brittany Haas.......
Yep I'm one of "those people" ;)
June 29, 2019, 2:24 PM · Hilary Hahn, James Ehnes, Clara Jumi-Kang, Ray Chen, Joshua Brown
I'd say these 5 probably constitute 95% of my listening --- the rest being the Heifetz encores (especially Porgy and Bess!)
Edited: June 29, 2019, 3:15 PM · Yanni, and everyone in his personal band and orchestra, especially Mary Simpson and Samvel Yervinyan on violin and Sarah O'Brien and Alexander Zhiroff on cello. Yanni is far from a top tier pianist but his songwriting and arrangements are!

The progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater are up there as well as Swedens Opeth

June 29, 2019, 4:03 PM · I just don't have favorites. There's so many great violinists in the world, and the internet has made them accessible. Here's two violinists that I'd like to share with you, that you're likely not familiar with. "maiko", the composer of the piece is screen right, and Naoko Terai is screen left.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i45GX5pRcNI

(I'd also like to point out that they're using clip on microphones for amplification, Terai using an Audio Technica ATM-350, and maiko is using a DPA-4099, in a loud sound space, yet the audio engineer is able to manage the feedback and bleed through so that we, the listeners, get a beautiful amplified sound. It can be done, and damn those annoying piezos.)

June 29, 2019, 4:32 PM · Like Mark writes there is a staggering number of truly great violinists. But I do have a personal favorite, just because it is fun to have one: Bomsori Kim.
June 29, 2019, 5:49 PM · One favourite all-round musician of mine was the Cambridge Professor of Theoretical Chemistry, later Sussex Professor in something along the lines of cognitive science, Christopher Longuet-Higgins. He used regularly to accompany Tessa Robbins in performing sonatas, was the most convincing statue in Don Giovanni I've ever heard, and on one occasion showed himself to be a capable conductor.
June 29, 2019, 8:28 PM · Violinist- Isabelle faust. Flawless technique, deep musical thought, spectacular phrasing and variety in preformance. She’s all around spectacular .
Musician- Hopkinson Smith- his sonatas and partitas are so spectacular in every aspect it seems to sell me as the best music every recorded on disc.
Of course we can’t forget Karajan, Bernstein, piatigorsky, Glenn Gould, Bach.
June 30, 2019, 4:18 AM · Hilary Hahn, Andras Schiff, Stephen Kovacevich, Pavel Haas quartet, Vadim Repin, Richard Thompson. Plus many of the amazing violinists out there whose playing I don't know well enough to class as 'favourites'.

No longer with us or (probably) no longer performing.....
Colin Davis, Karel Ancerl, Smetana Quartet, Panocha Quartet, Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Robert Simpson, Hans Keller, Janet Baker, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, plus the usual collection of violinists - Oistrakh, Haendel, Suk, Milstein, Kogan etc

Not forgetting Mozart, Beethoven (special favourites among many)

June 30, 2019, 3:29 PM · I was just watching a video of The Divertissement Chamber Orchestra playing The Storm by Antonio Vivaldi. Those players can smoke!
June 30, 2019, 3:44 PM · Andy Laverne, Bill Charlap, Fred Hersch, Michel Petrucciani, Bill Evans, Andre Previn, Monty Alexander, Art Tatum ... (I love piano jazz).

Hilary Hahn, the Emerson, Guarneri, Audubon, Dover, and St. Lawrence Quartets, Aaron Rosand, Anne-Sophie Mutter.

PS. I like Vengerov and Kremer too!

June 30, 2019, 7:35 PM · Alison Krauss and Union Station
Edited: July 5, 2019, 11:48 AM · Violinists or musicians in general?

Violinists, I like Markov, and Podger I think.

If you ask me in general, I'd usually say Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher and the others MBV members.

July 5, 2019, 11:42 AM · John Rokos - I'm late catching up with this thread but you reminded me of the Cambridge Professor of Agriculture, part-time composer and double-bass player Jimmy Beament. I was pleased (well, made the best of it) to be involved in the annual operetta he wrote for my college, until one year we substituted his terrible string quartet on nursery tunes instead. He also wrote a highly respected book, The Violin: Components, Mechanism and Sound
July 24, 2019, 11:50 AM · Violints are Mintz, Zukerman and James Ehnes. Pianist is Ashkenazy or Barenboim, cellist is Rostropovich or Steven Isserliss
July 24, 2019, 12:17 PM · Jake if you like those cellists you should listen to Narek Hakhnazaryan.
July 24, 2019, 12:41 PM · Thanks Paul. I'll YouTube when I get a chance
July 24, 2019, 1:26 PM · Out of classical musicians I've heard live that have particularly impressed me:

Violinists: Midori, Vadim Gluzman, Augustin Hadelich, Erin O'Keefe, William Hagen
Viola: Antoine Tamestit
Piano: William Wolfram, Andras Schiff, Garrick Ohlsson, Igor Levitt, Yuja Wang
Cello: Silver Ainomae
Ensembles: Danish SQ, Jerusalem SQ

There's probably a few that I've just forgotten, since it was so long ago, and there's more that I would definitely see again. I think I liked that Haknazaryan guy too, though I couldn't tell if his sound was a little small, or if the orchestra was just a bit overpowering.

Edited: July 24, 2019, 2:37 PM · Janine Jansen, particularly her Vivaldi Suite with the chamber orchestra. Loved their interaction.

Matt Cranitch (Irish fiddle)
Kevin Wimmer (Cajun fiddle)
Yo-Yo Ma

July 24, 2019, 3:18 PM · Bottom line?
Current - Hillary Hahn
Past - Zino Francescatti
July 24, 2019, 3:38 PM · My favorite musicians all have names but, outside of their small circle of friends, family, students, and fellow musicians, nobody knows who they are. They teach, play in churches, community orchestras, schools, senior residences, and they work hard for little money and all the joy of making music.

In these days of people wanting to cash-in and become famous, I much prefer those who do the DIY version of music.

The very famous, and top paid performers are great and an inspiration in their own way and they have all the following that they can ask for.

For me, as I will this coming Sunday, I love to listen to the amateurs who play music just for the joy of it. These are special people and I respect all of them.

July 24, 2019, 4:55 PM · Ivry Gitlis anyone?
July 24, 2019, 7:51 PM · Hilary Hahn
Hilary Hahn
and...uh...Hilary Hahn

But like, seriously, since I started being more successful in my career, I have traveled to see her play because of my admiration for her. People always talk about perfect intonation, but IMO it's her right hand that defies human understanding. And she's super friendly to boot. I posted her answer to my Q&A question about buying a new instrument last month, and she took 15 minutes to answer me (a complete nobody) about her process of picking a fiddle.

I heard her final concerto before her sabbatical last month at Tanglewood where she played an all-Solo-Bach program. Flew to Boston, hit some local breweries on the way up, then just sat on the lawn, drank beer, and took it all in. She also signed my copy of the Garcia partitas.

People on this board may look at this with disdain, but I will also nominate TwoSet Violin. They aren't solo violinists per se, but I consider them accomplished musicians and they are making violin more accessible to the modern world.

I started playing violin again because TwoSet inspired me. If TwoSet made me want to play violin, Hilary made me want to play violin well.

July 24, 2019, 9:38 PM · Tony, I second your Ivry Gitlis.
July 24, 2019, 10:52 PM · Living: Hahn, Vengerov, Perlman
Historical: Milstein, Oistrakh, Kreisler, Campoli
July 24, 2019, 11:06 PM · Violin: Patricia Kopatchinskaja, Hilary Hahn, Christian Tetzlaff, Ray Chen, James Ehnes

Cello: Jacqueline du Pré, Kian Soltani

Piano: Fazil Say

Ensembles: Roomful of Teeth, Pacifica Quartet, Catalyst Quartet, Arditti Quartet

Edited: July 24, 2019, 11:11 PM · Among those who are performing: Hilary Hahn, Kristóf Baráti.

BTW. there are already two many threads like this. Someone should a thread on violinists we **don’t** like.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition