Strings for new Chinese violin

June 28, 2019, 9:51 AM · I am getting a new Ming Jiang Zhu 909 violin. Any ideas on what strings are good on those? It comes with Dominants and the gold Lenzer E(don’t remember the name). My son had one of these violins also and said it was too bright sounding so he put Obligatos on it. I realize it’s a speculative question now - since I don’t have it yet- but any perspective on this?

Replies (7)

June 28, 2019, 10:38 AM · well despite having same label, every violin is different. Dominants are nice strings..maybe you can change E string with the one you like ( Lenzner is a fine string though ). But I think you should play your violin first and then tell us your opinions about it
June 29, 2019, 7:27 AM · My teacher said the same thing. I’ll report back when I get the violin/ hopefully next week. Thanks
June 29, 2019, 7:31 AM · A lot of these Chinese violins come with counterfeit Dominant strings, be careful about that.
June 29, 2019, 8:09 AM · The rule of thumb is to start with (genuine) Dominant strings and take it from there. The alternative is Tonica. Once you hear the sound, get back and report what are you missing.
June 30, 2019, 6:03 AM · Have you had the violin setup checked over by a luthier, and adjustments made as necessary, including a suggestion for a suitable choice of strings arising out the check over?
June 30, 2019, 12:36 PM · Just wait until you have the violin, because it not a situation of nothing -or-all. You may want to change only one or two strings to get it in good balance. Many dont have full set of strings but have a combination of different strings and until you get the violin, you cannot possibly know what needs fixing and how.
June 30, 2019, 6:30 PM · I think it's impossible to go wrong with plain gut, but others disagree.

Check out Gamut strings.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition