Does anyone use Kaplan solution e string ? (non-whistling)

Edited: June 28, 2019, 8:27 AM · Hi ! I'm new here:)) I was just wondering if anyone is currently using Kaplan solution e string with non whistling? Because it is definitely the best e string I've ever used haha

Or any opinion about this string ?

Replies (14)

June 28, 2019, 8:59 AM · I have used it several times years ago, on more than a violin.
In the end, i found that the notes on the strings, especially higher in the neck, where a bit subdued. I did not like it then, and don't like it now.

(my favourite E string, until now, is the Pirastro Tonica stark (strong) aluminum wrapped.

June 28, 2019, 9:03 AM · No. I haven’t used it but I would like to try it. I use a Rondo e and I like it a lot.
June 28, 2019, 9:25 AM · I see, you should try it oneday ! The sound is really bright and clear. Especially when you are playing some bach pieces like Chaconne, it's really good cuz it doesn't make any whistling sound
June 28, 2019, 9:35 AM · If they made one from the same stainless alloy as the Lisa E, I would pay a pretty penny for it.

Once you get a taste of the stainless E, you can never go back. At least not like when you're like me and your sweat melts through steel beams.

June 28, 2019, 12:07 PM · I used the Kaplan E once: didn't notice anything distinctive. My current choice on four violins; Warchal Amber E or Goldbrokat in the three gauges.
June 28, 2019, 1:36 PM · I like goldbrokat and the one that comes with the vision solo.
June 28, 2019, 4:45 PM · I have used it for awhile, and I like it. I play a couple of different fiddle styles, and Bach, so open strings are part of what I do, and I cannot abide a whistle. It has a sweet sound on my violin and blends nicely with Obligatos. The Amber E is nice too, it's just that it was unreliably available when I was trying E strings, and the Kaplan was similar for me.
Edited: June 28, 2019, 5:50 PM · Over nearly a couple of decades of violin playing I've never had an open E string whistle. I've had a variety of Es covering a large part of the field, but not Kaplan, so what's up?

The Es I'm using at the moment are Warchal Amber on one violin and a new Chorda gut on the other.

June 28, 2019, 7:30 PM · The Kaplan non whistling E string is like a compromise between gut and steel. It sounds better and warmer than plain steel in the first 5-6 positions, but loses the necessary pebetration and clarity at the top of the fingerboard. If you rarely need to use 8th position and above, it's the perfect string for you.
Edited: June 28, 2019, 10:36 PM · Umm maybe it might lose clarity at high positions. But for me, the sound was really great as well when I played some high notes of Zigeunerweisen. Actually I did not find any problems with the e string:)
Edited: June 30, 2019, 1:45 AM · It sounds and feels different from other E strings because the core is rope core (like the lower three Helicore, Spirocore, etc. violin strings), not a single solid wire. So it feels (and sounds) more flexible, for better or worse.

It wasn’t for me. It lacked brilliance and the response felt slow.

I think it was a cool experiment for D’Addario to have tried!

July 11, 2019, 9:34 PM · I don't know if this is the same non-whistling E I tried at last a decade ago. I did not like it - at all. Especially the way it felt under my fingers.
July 17, 2019, 9:44 AM · The Kaplan Solution E string mitigates whistling because it is wound in stead of plain steel. This is nothing new--the Dominant wound E does the same thing and sounds better.

And it doesn't come with a cheesy little adapter.

July 17, 2019, 11:08 AM · The propensity to whistle depends on the violin and its adjustment. I owned a violin that whistled with many Es, in a way that was reliably reproduceable (so I could pay attention to the fact that my contact was proper and not angled), despite adjustment. Heavy-gauge E strings stopped that problem. My current violin has a propensity to whistle as well when out of adjustment (even the lower strings will whistle!), although I'm guessing that some of it is driven by my not always clean angle of attack.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition