Elicia Silverstein

Edited: June 27, 2019, 8:09 PM · I dearly love the Passagalia (Biber) especially as played by Elicia Silverstein. I want to eventually play this.

https://youtu.be/sgcR183f8gA

I would like to listen to more of her work. So far have only found her album "The Dreams and Fables I Fashion". Does anyone know of other pieces she has recorded?

Replies (3)

Edited: June 28, 2019, 2:11 AM · Sorry if I seem to be changing your subject, but I also love that piece by Biber. I have three cd recordings of it, by violinists Augusta McKay Lodge, John Holloway, and Christina Day Martinson. Biber's "Mystery Sonatas" are amazing for the different tunings each sonata requires. One of them actually requires the two middle strings, D and A, to be crossed over one another in the pegbox and in the afterlengths between the bridge and tailpiece, so that the A-string is in the D-string position, and the D-string is in the A-string position. Then the strings are retuned. Fascinating! Will you be getting a baroque bow?
June 28, 2019, 4:54 AM · Other suggestions for the piece is always appreciated. There are many others I would like to play when I've advanced enough as I think they would be fun, Hall of the Mountain King comes to mind - my teacher groans when I mention it :-) If I can someday play Passagalia well enough that I could express even a portion of the joy it gives to me, well, that is another thing entirely.

I just returned to the violin 8 months ago after 45 years, my teacher just started me on 3rd position for several pieces, starting on 2nd in scales, and introducing harmonics, so it will be some time before I've the skills to play this piece. A baroque bow? When the time is right, I'm resisting the temptation now but it's just too soon.

June 28, 2019, 6:04 AM · I'm another baroque lover that still hasn't reached the right level to play these Biber sonatas... my favourite is number IV, "the presentation", although the Passagalia is also amazing.

I didn't know about Silverstein, so I can't help you with your request. I'll listen to the piece later. Thanks for sharing it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra