Violin bow

June 26, 2019, 6:13 PM · One of my violin wood, ( not pernambuco I imagine) bows that I still use occasionally, I bought in Kitchener Ontario Canada in 1944 when I was 10, on the recommendation of my violin teacher in Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada where I lived at the time. It was $12.50! In the 20’s he was concertmaster in the Toronto Symphony and he played an Amati violin which was beautiful in looks as well as sound.
Obviously it has been rehaired many times with Mongolian hair. It weighs 6.3 g and I like it’s smoothness if that makes sense.
I have 3 other bows, none pernambuco. One is wood, the other is a good quality carbon fibre which I use 80% of the time.
My question is this: does anyone have any idea what this would cost today. It is NOT FOR SALE! Too much nostalgia!
I thought you may have an idea Arthur?
Terry Carscadden

Replies (13)

June 26, 2019, 6:15 PM · I saw an ad for a company selling pernambuco bows for 7.50 in the 1910s so it very well could be a decent bow.
June 26, 2019, 6:26 PM · How can anyone possibly give a value for some random pernambuco bow?
It's like saying "I have a house--how much is it worth now?" with no other information.
June 26, 2019, 7:41 PM · I just thought a senior might have an idea. I’m afraid you are comparing apples and oranges. A house is not quite the same as a violin bow and I am not trying to make money!
With respect
Terry
June 26, 2019, 10:03 PM · Take a whole bunch of pictures of it and post them over on maestronet.com.

Those guys'll probably know what it's worth.

Edited: June 27, 2019, 3:08 AM · you've had it rehaired many times, but you never inquired what the luthier thought of it, in terms of origin and worth?

It doesn't have a stamp, apparently. You do know the violin the concertmaster of the Toronto Symphony played on (purportedly) but next to nothing about this bow. Is it silver wound or nickel? What about the wood?

It seems you prefer a CF bow over this one, so maybe it's not that great a player? It just happens to have spent a lot of time with you. Sorry, I'm just guessing.

If you really want to know the best thing would be to show it to your local luthier, who probably is familiar with this bow already. The folks at Maestronet usually don't give dollar appraisals.

June 27, 2019, 1:43 AM · $1 in 1940 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $18.29 in 2019 (as per inflation calculator), therefore $12.50 x $18.3 = $228.
June 27, 2019, 6:38 AM · I would think you could buy a Pernambuco bow for $12.50 in 1944
June 28, 2019, 3:29 PM · Thanks for your comments. My luthier r in London Ontario doesn’t know about it since there are no markings on it but has preserved well. He can’t tell if it is pernambuco by looks. I was 10 when I bought it and I just played it. I never heard of pernambuco or brazilwood. I can’t ask him. He died 40 years ago. As l
said I am not selling it since I use it!
Roger was a help. That’s really what I wanted. I couldn’t figure the math.
Cotton, I will take your suggestion. Thanks
Herman, yes I did but he didn’t know. I would say it is nickel wound.
Don’t know about the wood.
You may be right Lyndon.
The curve or contour and stiffness is preserved. I think the nut may have been changed when I was in High School. Tats awhile ago!
Cheers All

June 29, 2019, 3:19 PM · Hello Cotton. Couldn’t connect. Said incorrect address. ???
Terry
June 29, 2019, 3:36 PM · Although the CPI may have increased 20X (2000%) since those days the pricing of string instruments and bows (or various collectables) has generally far exceeded those increases. For example, about 80 years ago for $125 my father purchased a Richard Weichold (Dresden) bow, a F.N.Voirin bow AND a Stefano Scarampella violin.

Today those three items might sell for $5,000, $15,000 and $100,000 respectively.

The fact that your bow has no identifying marks would work against it appreciating that much, but have you checked under the frog for ID letters or numbers?

June 29, 2019, 6:37 PM · There were a lot of factory bows around at the time-- some good, some hopeless. There were also (as in Andy's father's case) a lot of dealers who would give a GREAT bow away as part of a purchase for a violin because, well, who cared about bows?
June 29, 2019, 9:21 PM · Thank you Andrew and Stephen. No numbers or letters under frog.
Also at age 10 my parents bought me a Strad copy from neighbours down the street for $25. It has had some work done on and off. My luthier in Sudbury, retired 15 years ago, told me that it was worth about $2200 just before he retired, but he was not qualified appraiser. I still play this violin weekly in a 12 person ensemble.
My main violin is unknown. The older man who gave it to me said his father would have bought it in the 1880s +\- . He knew nothing about
It. All it says inside is H M Cusack violin maker and repairer Toronto Ontario. My London luthier does not know this name either. George Heinl also does not know him. I hope I have not been too wordy
Thanks
Terry

July 8, 2019, 8:13 PM · Any other comments
Terry

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition