Buying gut strings for modern setup

June 26, 2019, 9:06 AM · I'm looking to buy Plain gut D and A strings and would very much appreciate your advice. I live in Europe so I'd prefer to buy within the same economic region.

I've been looking at Damian Dlugolecki and Toro strings. I have played Tricolore strings (medium) and I really like those.

For G string I use Pirastro Oliv - I haven't played a better G string yet.

Replies (6)

Edited: June 26, 2019, 2:43 PM · I recently installed Toro on my baroque violin and am very satisfied. The only challenge is in their peculiar ordering process... You need to know a diameter instead of gauge, which might be impossible to tell if this is the first installation on that violin. Inquire with Mr. Toro before you purchase.
June 26, 2019, 12:50 PM · There are some useful past threads on this topic which would be worth your while. I think a search on 'Tricolore' would pick them all up. Sounds like you want to experiment out of curiosity? Seems most people are very satisfied with Tricolore for this purpose.
June 26, 2019, 1:03 PM · Aquila!
June 26, 2019, 3:09 PM · Daniela Gaidano from Italy. Visit her homepage - not only great strings but also tons of useful information.
June 26, 2019, 11:34 PM · Toro are very good. The A also works really well with a standard Eudoxa D and steel E, this is my favourite combination, with an Oliv G. For a modern set-up I would start with the medium A (.79mm) and work from there. They are cheap enough to order a few gauges to experiment with..
June 27, 2019, 12:08 PM · I use Pirastro Chorda, which are easily obtainable in at least two violin shops in my area. The three lower strings last well and are stable. The gut E of course is short-lived, 2 months or so for me before fraying becomes unacceptable, although I had one earlier this year that gave me 6 months service before it suddenly started fraying along its whole length during a rehearsal. I stopped playing and replaced it pronto.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra