Mystery A string ?

June 21, 2019, 9:31 AM · Hello all:

Any idea what sort of A string Albrecht uses in this performance? I thought it was Dominant but it seems to be a type of Steel A?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FndXE-1wGxk

Thanks for your help guys.

Replies (11)

June 21, 2019, 9:48 AM · It could be a Pirastro Aricore or a Thomastik Dominant?
Not sure, the peg colors don't seem to match.
Edited: June 21, 2019, 12:34 PM · The only steel A that comes to mind with the same color as the Dominant A is the Jargar original steel A.

Edit: it really looks like a Thomastik A, probably Infeld Red because the red E string looks like it's gold plated, and the peg box winding appears to be red. Does the fine tuner make you think it's a steel string?

Edited: June 21, 2019, 12:41 PM · I thought it was Infeld Blue, but the color is bit different From this refrence probably Infeld Red (also you can see the A peg end at 9:10).

https://www.google.com/search?q=infeld+red&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGu9G7jvviAhWQilwKHYmZB5AQ_AUIESgC&biw=1366&bih=636#imgrc=RbwON5EiBEnf4M:

June 21, 2019, 12:39 PM · I think it looks different because of the lighting. Does Prim make a light tension A? I thought they only made medium and heavy, which are green and red I think. The only other steel string I can say is D'addario Prelude, which is too dark of a blue and I doubt he's using a $5 student steel string.
June 21, 2019, 1:36 PM · IMHO, some sort of the Thomastik family, with a possible different E string. Infield blue or red? Rondo? It's hard to tell on a youtube clip. I could better guess what it isn't.
(D'addario Prelude, Pirastro Aricore)
Edited: June 21, 2019, 6:06 PM · Warchal's steel "Russian" A? I use one myself. It's difficult to identify from the video exactly what A Albrecht is using on this occasion, but I'm fairly sure it is steel – the old Russian setup of steel E and A coupled with gut D and G.
June 21, 2019, 8:11 PM · Warchal Russian A is red at the tailpiece.
Does anyone know which Thomastik string is orange at the tailpiece? Is it one of the luthier exclusive strings? The strings could be orange at the pegbox, now that I get a better look
June 22, 2019, 7:43 AM · Just checked on my Warchal Russian A: the peg box winding is royal blue, the tailpiece winding is a dark wine red, certainly not orange.
June 22, 2019, 8:41 AM · Thomastik Rondo are dominant-colors at the tailpiece and orange in the pegbox.
June 22, 2019, 9:19 AM · Thomastik Ti A is orange at the tailpiece, blue at the peg end - the opposite of Rondo.
June 22, 2019, 9:20 AM · Thomastik Ti A is orange at the tailpiece, blue at the peg end - the opposite of Rondo.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra