Evah Gold

Edited: June 20, 2019, 10:42 AM · Daughters 3/4 is going in for adjustment tomorrow before an important performance (to her).
She uses 3/4 Evahs. Wondered if she could use full size
Evah Golds and whether it could make a difference.
Her sound and tone good for 10 year old. Noticed E in high register could ring more and G in higher could be better. She could use a bit more projection in auditorium space. I know some is her and some violin.
Not trying to fix anything wrong, she sounds good.
We are putting on new strings anyway, bow rehaired and adjustment.
The violin was purchased over 6 months ago and first time to luthier.
Be nice I am on a steep learning curve. Yes, talking to teacher..

Replies (10)

June 20, 2019, 8:39 AM · Full-size strings on a 3/4 instrument will have much less tension than 3/4 strings. Probably too little to be ideal for most violins/people.
June 20, 2019, 8:59 AM · I would not switch to untried set of strings before performance. Fractional size strings are there for a reason...some people studied the subject and came to conclusion. Theoretically thicker strings could sound better on a shorter mensure, but why re-invent the wheel?
June 20, 2019, 9:07 AM · Ok, had just read prior threads before posting that you could, so good to clarify.
June 20, 2019, 9:15 AM · At this level, should I have her play something for luthier
Before adjustment, or just drop off and assume he will maximize
What violin is capable of?
Never had adjustment before, teacher said she thought the violin was
Not sounding as good as when purchased. Again, not bad, either.
June 20, 2019, 9:36 AM · If you both got the time, take your daughter with you. Your luthier could lister to her playing, and you can discuss the issues you mentioned before (regarding the E and G string)

It could be a really good experience for her, after all it is her instrument

I also hope there would be sufficient time between the string change, the repair, the adjustments and the performance, since, you know, strings need to stretch etc. In any case, I would tell the luthier when the performance is.

:)

June 20, 2019, 10:41 AM · Yes, she is going. She has about 10 days. In our experience
the Evahs tune in pretty quickly. I do see that my thread title is a typo.
Older dad who broke his bifocals recently :)
June 20, 2019, 11:21 AM · Great! 10 days seem to be really ok!

However if a luthier told me that I should change something "big" in my setup 10 days before a performance, let's say the bridge (it's theoretical, I am not suggesting this is something so common) I would maybe just do the string change (if the strings are not ok) and handle the rest of the issues later, after the concert. Unless there is an issue that is a "violin emergency" of course.

Oh, sorry for your eyeglasses...

For the record, what will she be playing in the performance?

June 20, 2019, 11:25 AM · Ten Have.
June 22, 2019, 9:42 AM · Violin spent the day at Luthiers. Sounds a lot better.
They switched strings to Rondos (which I had not heard of before)
From EP. Straightened bridge. Soundpost adjustment.
Anyway, just wanted to say having access to all the older threads has
helpful in trying to educate myself in regards to my daughter’s violin.
Thanks!
June 23, 2019, 4:58 PM · Rondo is part of Thomastik's "luthier" line. The strings look like Dominants, but play and sound more similarly to Evah Pirazzis.

I just swapped my Passione Solos for Rondos (retaining my Amber E string) and really like them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra