Hermann Lugar Bow authenticity

June 19, 2019, 12:16 PM · hi guys, i'm looking at a hermann lugar bow on fleabay, and noticed the "hermann lugar marking is particularly darker than google images of it shows, do folks actually counterfeit violin bows in the 200-300 usd price range?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-PERNAMBUCO-VIOLIN-BOW-HERMANN-LUGER-FULL-MOUNT-GERMAN-SILVER-XLNT-CONDITION/223552070101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

Replies (18)

June 19, 2019, 12:32 PM · I've been told they're Chinese bows, nothing to get excited about. Not pernambuco either if they're Chinese.
June 19, 2019, 12:45 PM · woee really? so they are not german made pernambuco material bow?
June 19, 2019, 12:48 PM · I don't think so, you're not going to get genuine pernambuco for $100 just the wood costs that much
June 19, 2019, 1:45 PM · it's a used bow, maybe thats why its cheaper? or does regular consumer guideline not work here
June 19, 2019, 1:52 PM · heres their website, they claim they are pernambuco, but dont explain how they can be so cheap, and no mention of where they're made which usually means China

http://hermannlugerbows.com/about-us/

June 19, 2019, 1:58 PM · I must say from looking at the wood it looks like the Chinese fake pernambuco
June 19, 2019, 2:05 PM · well your right, i called one shop and salesperson confirm its made in china, does that take away from the quality at all? the fact that its made in china maybe that explains the pricing discrepancy?
June 19, 2019, 2:05 PM · Counterfeit Hermann Luger are being sold. Buyer beware.

You can still buy good pernambuco bow blanks for $20-$30 per in lots of 10 or so.

June 19, 2019, 2:12 PM · I don't think so, maybe reject wood only
June 19, 2019, 2:33 PM · George Huhn, is this one a counterfeit? or you stating in general there are counterfeit hermann lugar bows being sold out there.

the seller message me and said he would do it for 100 usd. is there any good used permanbuco bow out there i can get for 100-200?

June 19, 2019, 2:36 PM · they retail for $200-300
June 19, 2019, 2:40 PM · And no, I don't think you can get new genuine pernambuco bows for $200-300 anymore.
June 19, 2019, 2:42 PM · so...do i pass on this particular bow for 100 usd or get it?
June 19, 2019, 3:03 PM · Chinese bows for $100 are dime a dozen, you should go to a store a try out multiple bows, chances of one bought of ebay fitting your needs are pretty slim.
Edited: June 19, 2019, 4:09 PM · Yes, I think the stamp looks counterfeit. Of the few I have seen, genuine Hermann Luger bows are pretty decent for the price.
June 20, 2019, 12:57 AM · I mean, if you desperately need a bow, I guess for $200 it's ok. It will at least be functional.

Better advice would be to go to a local store, look at a good cheap carbon fiber bow, find one you like, and get that instead. It'll even come with a warranty against defects at $300.

June 25, 2019, 1:33 AM · bit of update, so the seller originally made another listing for me for 100usd from his bid listing of the same bow, after this thread we agreed to cancel it, however 2 days later i got a email saying i won the listing on the bid listing for 77 bucks, it was then i remembered i forgot to withdraw my bid, i didn't want to be that guy to duck out of a won auction, so for 77 bucks and a 14 day return policy i thought what the heck.

https://imgur.com/O6BTjYj
https://imgur.com/26dCguy

after digging around, the darker signature and the abalone inlay matches the hermann luger vpb35 model.
https://atlanticstrings.com/product/hermann-luger-vpb35-pernambuco-violin-bow/

so far i only tried it with a mute on my violin since i got home late and didnt want to piss off the neighbors, but i can already feel a much better difference in playbility compared to the two bows with questionable wood that came with my student violin.

i think for 77 bucks i'll just keep it and use it in the time being, it plays very much like my friend's pernambuco bow that cost 300+ in terms of weight distribution and stiffness.

i'm planning on upgrading my violin in couple months, what are the communitie's thoughts on jay haide l'anncene models?

June 25, 2019, 6:06 AM · They’re fine. Some sound great. However you seem to be applying the typical consumerism onto the violin market. These days there are “brands” of instruments or bows but saying that is the best and buy that first is a horrible decision. Go to shops and try many things. Often you get a better deal and far better instrument than eBay.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra