Recording yourself on an iPhone 6

June 16, 2019, 5:05 PM · I have an iPhone 6 and would like to do both audio and video recording of my playing. The phone has a camera for video and an app called voice memos which can be used for audio alone. Are there any other apps that might be better for these purposes that I have or could download? Thanks.

Replies (6)

June 16, 2019, 5:41 PM · I have no experience with video recording, so I can't help you with that. But I did attempt to use "Voice Memos" for audio recording and was disappointed with the result. What I've found is that microphone position and placement are critical for making a good recording. Too close and the result is shrill, and too far away results in unpleasant room reflections, at least in my room. I bought a mic stand with a boom arm and place my Tascam digital recorder on it. I can monitor the process with closed ear headphones, and as I step closer to, or further away from the microphones I'm amazed at the difference the distance makes.
June 16, 2019, 5:57 PM · I use the standard iOS camera app for videos, and Voice Record Pro for audio alone.
June 16, 2019, 7:30 PM · I use in my Android phone an app that records the audio in stereo, using the 2 microphones my phone, and most phones, have. Look for an app that let's you use both microphones, and also try to save the audio in .wav or some other lossless formats.
June 17, 2019, 7:23 AM · Thanks for the help.
Edited: June 17, 2019, 7:29 AM · Rather than recording in stereo on my phone, I'd just stick the mono track in Audacity and blow it up into a stereo track. If your phone has one mic on the front and one on the back, the listener is going to have a different quality of sound in each ear, which is distracting.
Edited: June 17, 2019, 12:20 PM · Has anyone tried recording iPhone or iPad videos with one of the recent $100 off-board stereo mics made for this like Shure MV88 or Zoom IQ7? Should be far superior to recording with the built-in mics, but I'm not sure how well this integrates with the Apple camera app.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe