Difficulty of movements in Bach A minor Sonata

June 13, 2019, 11:04 AM · Hi everybody,

I would like to find out about the relatve difficulty of the Grave and Andante in Bach's Sonata for Solo Violin in A minor, and some pros and cons of playing either.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

June 13, 2019, 11:15 AM · For what purpose? Ideally you would learn the whole sonata.
Edited: June 13, 2019, 3:02 PM · The Andante was described to me by the father of young violinist that I know as the S&P movement that gives the least return on your investment in effort and stress.
June 13, 2019, 4:37 PM · Actually, I find the reverse for the Andante. One other advantage of that movement is that it can be played independently. The Grave ends on V, so requires the fugue to make it resolve to I.
June 13, 2019, 6:22 PM · You need a whole fugue just to end on I?
If you want to play just the Andante, it's not celestial mechanics to just end it one I.
June 13, 2019, 6:24 PM · Well, Bach found it useful. The truly intelligent and lazy may come up with other solutions.
June 13, 2019, 7:39 PM · If lazy gets the job done I'll take that. LOL
June 13, 2019, 9:11 PM · @Lydia it is for the violin competition which I mentioned in the other thread about choosing sonatas
June 13, 2019, 10:06 PM · If they ask for a sonata and do not specify unaccompanied Bach is okay, you cannot substitute Bach for a sonata with piano.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases