Tall chinrest suggestions?

Edited: June 13, 2019, 7:09 AM · Love my center mounted left-offset Wittner Zuerich adjustable chinrest. I use the 6mm spacers with a low Kun SR - my neck doesn't know anything has changed and my shoulder is happy - all is good.

The problem is it keeps falling apart on me, especially in my private lesson. Frankly I'm afraid to tighten it more than I already have, it's already quite tight. If it happens one more time I will give up and replace it.

But what with? I need that tall CR height, that is obvious, and a replacnement can't be another Wittner as there seems to be some weakness in the design that I somehow find- I've given it one more chance before I decide to replace it. I do not know what part of the CR is causing the collapse as there are several possible points of failure.

Suggestions about other chinrests that are that tall? So far I've not landed on the right keyword for searching. I do like the shape of the chinrest though I'm willing to try something else. The deal breaker is the CR height - with a fused neck and trashed shoulders my position must be perfect.

Replies (17)

June 13, 2019, 5:19 AM · SAS Chinrest goes pretty high.
I have one at home and will have it installed next week. (Luthier needs to clean cork stuck to the plates from previous one).
Will post the results if you are interested.
June 13, 2019, 5:57 AM · Catherine as far as I understand, a luthier can heighten any chinrest using cork or another material, perhaps even add wood to it.
June 13, 2019, 6:52 AM · Kreddle chinrest.
June 13, 2019, 6:52 AM · I've been very happy with the SAS. The Stubbers seem good too. Raising up chin rests with cork tends to compromise the fit and leads to falling off, I found.

https://fiddlershop.com/products/sas-chinrest-original-model-violin

Edited: June 13, 2019, 7:10 AM · Thanks for the rec for Kreddle, SAS and Stubber. I also stumbled across the Wave as well. Good options for research, thanks! If there are other ideas just let me know. Unsure what the actual height of my adjusted Wittner, I use the tallest provided spacers, but a metric tape measure will answer that question.
June 13, 2019, 7:15 AM · The Wave chinrests come in 1", 1.25" and 1.5" heights. You can order and pay for one and Randy Olson will send you up to three others to demo. So you keep which of the 4 suits you best and return the three others (or return all 4 for a full refund.) Besides the height options, there are two surface contours to choose from. Randy will schedule a video conference consultation before you order if you want to improve your odds.

After 8 months of loving my first Wave 1, I just ordered a second for my summer travel violin... so, yeah, I like mine a lot.

P.S. When last checked, they only come in a reddish-brown padauk wood (nice and light) so you don't get to choose colors to match tailpiece or pegs.

June 13, 2019, 8:09 AM · I love my wave. He has amazing coustmer service. Mine had an unfortunate crack two days before a recital. I called Randal frantic and 19 hours later a free of charge new chinrest was at my doorstep. He has the best coustmer service I’ve seen in any company in the violin industry.
June 13, 2019, 9:08 AM · That is some high praise for the Wave! I don't think the Stuber is tall enough (pretty sure my Zuerich is @ 1.5 inches), but will certainly take a much closer look at both Kreddle and Wave.
June 13, 2019, 2:06 PM · Kreddle does great for me, with this dancer's neck of mine.
June 14, 2019, 7:27 AM · "The problem is it keeps falling apart on me"

That shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's set up and attached properly? Are the rubber feet in place?

The only times I've experienced anything like this were (1) when using a viola model on a violin (to be honest, I don't recall how I ended up with a viola chinrest - maybe my mistake, maybe the vendors; I've never played a viola - maybe the confusion was because the rest itself is the same for viola and violin, the only difference is the height of the legs - the viola legs are too loose on a violin.)

(2) When I attached additional high spacers (separately available add-ons from Wittner), but didn't have them balanced, so one side was much higher than the other, which I think led to there being too much force and cracked and damaged the chinrest at the point of attachment. But even then it didn't fall off when it broke during playing; I stopped using it before it did.

June 14, 2019, 12:37 PM · Also -- take a look at the Frisch and Denig web-site.
June 14, 2019, 1:41 PM · J Ray, everything is attached and level. It may simply be that I dont have it tight enough and am working to rule that out before I spend more money on chinrests. It literally falls apart rather than falling off in one piece. My teacher is just as perplexed - he has been checking it out himself. I know what he will say if it happens again, and I would agree.

Thanks Joel and Christian!

Edited: June 14, 2019, 5:09 PM · I use Wittner Augsburg chinrests, which utilize the same principles of assembly as your Zuerich, and I have to wonder how yours are falling apart. I know from my own experience that it's possible to improperly seat the risers that are fastened to the chinrest plate underside with small Phillips head screws. (I'm not talking about the screws that clamp the chinrest to the violin.)

I'd recommend checking the risers to see that they are seated as Wittner intends, and then being sure that the Phillips head screws are fully snugged down (again, I'm not talking here about the screws that clamp the rest to the violin). When those riser are properly seated they're rock solid stable. Improperly seated, not so stable.

Some Wittner products require more mechanical aptitude than is typical (and I'm not recommending it, but a good example of this is their "Isny" shoulder rest, which is quite complex), but in the end they're all excellent.

Edited: June 14, 2019, 6:31 PM · I will check that Mark, thanks for reminding me of those persnickety screws, and they are just that...

Joel, thanks for the tip on the Frisch and Denig website, they've some interesting information there.

June 15, 2019, 12:02 PM · I too would think this can be resolved without switching to a different brand of chinrest.

Do the two pieces of cork fit against the violin top properly?

June 20, 2019, 10:52 AM · plus one for the SAS rest. I have been using one for two years and find it very comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHw8A83mPmw

https://www.viva-sas.com/

June 20, 2019, 2:31 PM · I took the CR apart and put it back together (again), it's not collapsed again...yet. I do like the CR, so hopefully there was just something a bit off in the adjustment screws. If it returns then I've a short list of non-adjustable CRs to try, thanks for all of the suggestions!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop