E H Roth violin

June 12, 2019, 5:35 PM · I am a new member to Violinist and found a discussion from last summer re: a Roth violin with label; made under the supervision of EH Roth. I have a violin with this label and have received authentication papers from Roth Co. in Germany. I am curious as to how many more of these violins exist and if anyone has managed to sell one as an authentic Roth violin?

Replies (10)

June 12, 2019, 5:55 PM · If you have the papers from Wilhelm Roth you have a genuine circa 1925 Roth violin made before they started using imprinted stamps and serial numbers, they should be worth just as much as the ones from the 20s with the stamp, but they are harder to sell, even though they are slightly older, they should have a full retail value in top condition of about $7000, but $3000-4000 might be a more realistic price to try for
June 12, 2019, 8:51 PM · There are lots of Roth violins out there, and they aren't terribly difficult for a luthier or reputable shop to authenticate. Thankfully, they're not super-expensive either, so you won't find many Roth fakes out there.

There are different quality levels, ranging from those made by workshop assistants all the way up to individually handmade works by Roth himself. Lyndon's price ranges are accurate.

June 12, 2019, 10:31 PM · The made under the supervision instruments are the model 120-R identical to the 1700 Strad model, which is the lower end of the Roth range, but still higher level than almost all of the Markneukirchen competion
June 13, 2019, 2:35 PM · Thanks to both of you for the information. I have the papers from Roth and have been trying to sell it but because it is in very good condition , it is thought to be much newer ( less valuable)than it is so it turns people off. I have been asking 5000$ CAD and have had no interest but will keep looking for a buyer. Cheers
Edited: June 13, 2019, 2:48 PM · There was a E.H. Roth that recently sold for $19,000 at Tarisio Auctions in NYC.
June 13, 2019, 6:23 PM · "There was a E.H. Roth that recently sold for $19,000 at Tarisio Auctions in NYC."

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sucka....

June 14, 2019, 8:49 PM · E. H. Roth violins are not at all rare. Mine is from 1926. At least once a year I see another instrument of the same general vintage. Also, Roth made about nine or so different "grades" of violin at that time, so they were not even "born equal".

That said, in a universe where probably the best value (quality of build, tone, etc for dollar cost) comes from the good Chinese luthiers, the Roth instruments compare very well (in the $3,000 - $5,000 bracket).

Put that backwards, if you spend, say, $4,000, you are almost certainly better off with the E.H. Roth instrument from 1926, than you are with a new "best value" instrument.

But don't think you are sitting on gold mine.

June 14, 2019, 8:54 PM · Except that EH Roth instruments from 1926 retail from $7000-12,000 depending on the model
June 16, 2019, 1:05 PM · https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/price-history/?Maker_ID=628

One only has to go back 10-20 years to see what a bargain they used to be. :)

June 16, 2019, 1:30 PM · .......or to see how overpriced they are now. :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop