Recordings of Devil's Trill to listen to

June 12, 2019, 2:23 PM · So I'm going to be learning the Devil's Trill (gulp) and wondered which recordings you'd recommend.

I have one by Milstein, which is great but also hyper-Romantic. Keen to listen to some HIP interpretations and also some modern non-HIP ones... thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Replies (17)

Edited: June 12, 2019, 2:39 PM · Nicola Benedetti "Italia" cd.
June 12, 2019, 3:23 PM · Second vote for Benedetti. Another one I enjoyed was Andrew Manze.
Edited: June 12, 2019, 6:46 PM · I've don't know enough to say anything about HIP but I love the following:

Ray Chen -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWePX13N3M (also on Virtuoso CD)

David Oistrach (Devil's Trill Sonata CD)
Itzhak Perlman (Kreisler Collection: CD 2)

There are probably others, but I love this myself and found these on Spotify.

June 12, 2019, 5:38 PM · Oscar Shumsky’s recording of Devil’s Trill is my favorite.
June 12, 2019, 10:02 PM · Ida Haendel is really good on this.
June 13, 2019, 1:59 AM · It's not the Devil's Trill, but Chiara Banchini's recording of some of the other Tartini solo violin sonatas is absolutely wonderful.
June 13, 2019, 2:55 AM · Anna Mutter has recorded it and some can be found in youtube also. I actually bought the recording as spmeone recommended it as a perfect vibrato recording.
June 13, 2019, 10:13 AM · I've kind of noticed that all of Anne-Sophie Mutter's recordings are "perfect vibrato recordings." Listen to her Franck Sonata, her CD of romantic pieces, etc. You will be schooled in vibrato.
June 13, 2019, 10:29 AM · I haven't made a serious study of the piece-- either on disc or for performance-- but Andrew Manze's recording is quite stimulating. And it has the advantage of doing without continuo, which might be useful to know about if you are having to do a performance without a piano or pianist handy.
June 13, 2019, 2:51 PM · Mrs.Mutter is my fave vibratoist.
Edited: June 13, 2019, 3:03 PM · Not only is Manze's recording stimulating but I feel that in some places, particularly the last movement, he is taking advantage of the absence of continuo by improvising - as Tartini and others of the era would doubtless have done - implying that this astonishing performance is unlikely to be available as dots on the page. Which raises the ethical question whether one should ever slavishly copy an improvisation. Listen and learn from it to understand how it's done - yes; but copy - no.
June 13, 2019, 4:42 PM · Yes-- just need a clean manuscript he was using, or decide what happened to the continuo part so you can build out on it.
Edited: June 13, 2019, 9:07 PM · Personally, if you want to study the violin part, I would listen to a recording with just the piano instead of the orchestra accompaniment.
IMHO, you can hear the violin better than with an orchestra.
Itzhak Perlman and Nathan Milstein both have recordings with just piano. I'm sure there are also many more.
June 14, 2019, 12:41 AM · Franco Gulli, and Yehudi Menuhin. :)

For authentic I also enjoy Andrew Manze.

June 15, 2019, 4:27 AM · Thanks all for the recommendations.

Also have a look at this version - unique approach to, er, basso continuo... I'll have to see if I can pull off the whole flying violin thing too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdcZCHAeYW0

Edited: June 15, 2019, 3:49 PM · Doing without the continuo can often work for many pieces from the Baroque era if you want a violin solo that isn't billed as such in the repertoire - some of the Biber "Mystery" sonatas for example. Experiment.
Edited: June 17, 2019, 7:48 AM · I love Oistrakh's recording. He (and other violinists) play a Kreisler arrangement of the piece. If I recall correctly, it eliminates some notes that are in the original. Mostly, I think this involves omitting one note of what is a double stop in the original.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases