Kreutzer 5

June 9, 2019, 7:04 AM · Hi I know we always talk about the purpose of etudes so what is in your opinion the purpose and helpfulness of Kreutzer 5. It seemed to me to just be complex intonation at speed is this generally on the money?

Replies (6)

June 9, 2019, 8:12 AM · Yeah but arent you supposed to do a bunch of bowings with that one too?
June 9, 2019, 8:16 AM · I think this is one of the easier Kreutzer pieces to work on although I do not really enjoy playing it as it sounds strange to my ear. I would say thhe purpose of this one is to focus shifting between the first two positions and different finger patterns.
June 9, 2019, 8:24 AM · Maybe you could do some Bowings but It doesn’t seem as beneficial as if you just did number 2 with the many bowings.
Edited: June 9, 2019, 9:13 AM · This etude is a good entry point in the Kreutzer etudes. As always the point is to play with solid intonation, good tempo, and beautiful tone, a tall order even for an "easy" piece. This etude is actually normally played in a single position and that provides a good exercise in string crossing and keeping your fingers on the string. What is emphasized in the Peters edition of the Kreutzer etudes is that you can also play this etude in E major instead of E flat major, i.e., just transpose everything half a tone up. In measure 13 on the 7th note you then shift momentarily to second position on the fourth finger, shifting back to first position on the 1st note of measure 14. Once you have that in the fingers you can now play this etude in any key, so in higher positions, as long as you start with the second finger anywhere on the E-string you are good to go. That makes a nice exercise to play with clear tone in high positions across all four strings. Together with bowing variations this etude is something you can come back to regularly in your life. Needless to say I like this etude :-)
Edited: June 9, 2019, 11:46 AM · I like to warm up with #5 (and #2) — so I have been playing this with different bowing and/or at different keys every practicing day all my life. It has always brought me joy.
June 9, 2019, 11:59 AM · Well and its in 3 flats. If youre like me then some says its nice to gave something thats good for you without being ball-busting.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases