Need Piece Suggestions!

June 3, 2019, 8:23 PM · Hi! I am a rising 10th grader who is finishing up with Sarasate's Introduction and Tarantella. I am looking searching for my next piece and definitely want a challenge. I am probably looking for a concerto because I want to audition for camps and I will most likely be using this piece to audition for them in December. I honestly would also appreciate any piece suggestions in general even if they aren't concertos. Thank You!

Replies (16)

June 3, 2019, 10:09 PM · Lacking information about concertos (or concerto movements) you've already done, it's difficult to make a recommendation. This is really something to be asking your teacher since it's going to occupy a lot of your bandwidth and it needs to fit into his/her pedagogical progression. First movement of either Bruch or Lalo are impressive, but there is certainly nothing wrong with well-played Mozart.
June 4, 2019, 12:07 AM · What have you played recently, and what has your teacher suggested?
June 4, 2019, 12:37 AM · IF you played the Sarasate to a good standard, I'll tentatively say Bruch or Mendelssohn should be within your sights, but we really need more info.
June 4, 2019, 1:27 PM · Hi! Here are 3 of my past pieces: Mozart 4 1st movement, Bruch 1 1st movement, perpetuum mobile by novacek. I haven’t played very many concertos with the time constraint. I just recently became much more efficient and dedicated.
June 4, 2019, 1:44 PM · Why don't you learn the rest of Mozart #4 and Bruch #1?
Edited: June 4, 2019, 10:08 PM · Waxman-Carmen Fantasy

Paganini-Nel Cor

Gruenberg Concerto

;D

More seriously, Bruch No 1 (2 is a good bit harder) or Rondo by Mozart?

For flashy there is also Bizet's Dance of the Goblins...

Or Zapateado

(but you need a VERY good sense of rhythm-funnily, even Heifetz gets a bit lost on this one!

Only example I know of him not having the rhythm down pat, actually (helps greatly if you grow up with music with a similar 'flair'-it seems most anyone else has a good deal of trouble because the swing of it is difficult to internalize by memorization alone.

Only player I've heard do it perfectly-bar Sarasate!-is Joseph Hassid).

June 4, 2019, 10:06 PM · In case it's not obvious, A.O. is being a jerk.

Tom's suggestion is a good one.

Edited: June 4, 2019, 10:14 PM · @Lydia: Excuse me why?!

Was not trying to be rude in any way, last I checked...

PS: And indeed, most any player I hear on Zapateado does indeed struggle with the "bounce" of the rubato (unless they play it very "as written" with no rubato).

Except Hassid, who gets it right (no time distortion as it were).

PS: Notice also the obvious ;D underneath the first "suggestions I made.

Edited: June 5, 2019, 10:59 AM · I didn't think you were being a jerk, but are those really the most earnest suggestions you have for a young student wanting to find a concerto to study?
June 5, 2019, 2:34 PM · @Paul deck, Lydia Long

didn't the original post have a slightly different wording that seemed to suggest they would prefer a concerto but anything similar was also welcomed?

Bruch No. 1 is on there, regardless :D

Anyways, apologies to Sammy if i read the initial post in haste and missed something! :)

June 5, 2019, 7:07 PM · AO's initial post didn't have the "More seriously" addendum.
June 5, 2019, 8:04 PM · The Waxman Carmen Fantasy and Bazzini (not Bizet) Dance of the Goblins are not serious suggestions and are completely inappropriate for the OP.

This is, as has been mentioned already, a question for the OP's teacher.

June 5, 2019, 10:17 PM · Considering the OP wants to use said concerto/piece for camps it might be wise to use the first movement of a concerto if he chooses a concerto. So I'd say if you haven't already to do one of the other mozart concertos. The more impressive one would probably be no 5 in A Major. I would have suggested Wieniawski 2 or Saint Saens 3 becuase learning the things in those concertos would help them in learning Mendelssohn later even though it's an easier piece. But the Mozart Concertos are essential in a violinist's repertiore.
Edited: June 6, 2019, 5:39 AM · Maybe finish the Bruch and Mozart - always good to learn a whole work if it's within your technical grasp

(ask your teacher)

June 6, 2019, 5:27 PM · Yes by all means ask your teacher. They will have a better understanding of what you should play next or if you should finish your current concertos. All we can do is give you our own advice, but your teacher will know you better than we do. But if you're asking us... IMO the Mozart Concertos are a must, and the 1st movement of one of the concertos is usually asked for especially when you get to college auditions if that's what your goal is.
June 6, 2019, 5:27 PM · Yes by all means ask your teacher. They will have a better understanding of what you should play next or if you should finish your current concertos. All we can do is give you our own advice, but your teacher will know you better than we do. But if you're asking us... IMO the Mozart Concertos are a must, and the 1st movement of one of the concertos is usually asked for especially when you get to college auditions if that's what your goal is.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases