Storage stability of synthetic violin strings

June 3, 2019, 1:44 PM · I bought a few sets of different strings on Shar during last week's "20% off" strings sale. It now occurs to me I probably won't be using some of these sets for many months.

For the synthetic strings with metal coating, is there any risk of the strings losing playability if they aren't used for a year or so? I have a food sealer that I can use if it's necessary (it's how I protect natural gut tennis strings), but wondering if that's overkill.

Replies (4)

June 3, 2019, 1:56 PM · I've had sets that were stored for years that were just fine. Keep them in a "cool dry place".
June 3, 2019, 3:02 PM · I put mine in a ziplock bag and squeeze the air out. They last a long time.
Edited: June 3, 2019, 4:21 PM · I've heard that the packages contain some kind of coating that preserves the string. Once out of the packaging, I notice strings start to corrode after 2-3 years, which is why I stopped keeping extra strings in a string tube. But they probably last significantly longer when kept unopened.
June 3, 2019, 9:02 PM · I've never had any problem with strings I've kept for a long time (years). I've even sold some never-opened sets to other people who had no trouble with them.

AND I have given (free) the strings I have removed and replaced to try other brands and those who received them had no trouble with them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases