modern makers from eastern europe

May 30, 2019, 2:34 PM · Hello,

Can anyone recomment a violin maker in eastern europe. My budget is less than 2000 euros.

Thank you.

Replies (7)

May 30, 2019, 9:21 PM · Even in eastern Europe one cannot earn a living wage making violins from scratch and selling them for E2000. In your price range there are reasonable German antiques recently-made Chinese factory violins.
May 31, 2019, 5:13 AM · Not necessarily Chinese factory violins. Also German or Romanian can "workshop" (=small factory) violins. R.Paesold for example offers good quality for this amount of money.
May 31, 2019, 5:19 AM · Hi Phil Ryan, if I was looking to buy another violin in a certain price range I would visit many shops and pick one that I thought was the best and then haggle with the dealer as to the final purchase price.
May 31, 2019, 7:55 AM · Demšar violins from Ljubljana, Slovenia.
2K is about his entry point price.
Some of the violins sound thin and lack body, but you may find a nice one in the shop.

One of my fiddles is by Vilim Demšar (1937 - 2017). intermediate instrument, plenty loud and quite smooth sounding. Unfortunately I have only found one other Demšar instrument in this quality range.

I have recently played a brand new Blaž Demšar (Vilim's nephew) and was rather impressed by it.

May 31, 2019, 8:42 AM · Many years ago I bought privately a second-hand Hungarian factory-made cello for £200 for my daughter. Not a bad instrument at all, with a big responsive tone, and I sometimes borrowed it for a concert or two.
May 31, 2019, 9:52 AM · If a violin in the lower price ranges comes with a bow, be careful about the bow. The bow is as important to the tone and playability as the violin itself, and a cheap-'n'-nasty bow will not do the business for you. I'd look around for a suitable bow from another source if you're not 100% happy with a bow that comes with the violin.
May 31, 2019, 7:11 PM · I like my "factory"-made Bulgarian viola very much. It's made by Kremona Studio. They also make violins. They have different lines;
mine is made of aged European woods and was a bit over $2000US when I bought it a few years ago.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases