Looking for some new listening material

May 29, 2019, 7:09 PM · I'm looking for some suggestions for listening material, Violinist/Pianist duos, or projects that are strong on the Violin and Piano. Not straight Classical, but maybe a combo of Classical, New Age and Ambient. Melodic, dark as well as snappy.

Replies (18)

May 30, 2019, 8:09 AM · Nobody's responded yet, and maybe there's not a lot that fits your description. If you want to branch out a little, I suggest the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Didier Lockwood, and anything by the Turtle Island Quartet that features pianist Cyrus Chestnut. But of course I'm a jazz enthusiast so you're seeing my obvious bias there.
May 30, 2019, 5:18 PM · I'm surprised there's not a lot of Violinists similar to Lindsey Stirling, stylistically.
May 30, 2019, 6:43 PM · I'm not surprised no one offered anyone like Lindsay Stirling to you. Not sure that Caitlin De Ville works with pianists either.
May 31, 2019, 5:29 AM · Taylor Davis is very similar, and works with pianists and others.
May 31, 2019, 4:22 PM ·
May 31, 2019, 6:06 PM · Jeffrey, I just wanted to let you know that the mention of Lindsey Stirling probably put most people off from commenting on your thread. She is spoken of in the vein of "if she gets young kids interested in violin, more power to her". But in general, she is not someone that most people on here would recommend to anyone else except possibly jokingly.

My own comment linking her with Caitlin De Ville was muted at best, given my own dislike for the antics of each when performing.

Some people will give Stirling kudos for defining a niche and monetizing it, regardless of some negative reactions from some areas of the populace.

But this group's primary focus TENDS to be classical, though there are several fiddlers on here, myself included.

Edited: May 31, 2019, 6:20 PM · I will say that Taylor Davis' video here does not raise any annoyance in me, i.e. she's not trying to rely on sex appeal but instead on playing ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnZvK5duVE

May 31, 2019, 6:54 PM · Hilary Hahn’s In 27 Pieces, for me, is wonderful listening right now. It’s a collection of her encores with piano accompaniment, and it’s pretty awesome.
May 31, 2019, 10:32 PM · Thanks Bruno, listening now.

June 1, 2019, 8:11 AM · David, Yeah Stirling tends to dance around too much, but her playing is far from sterile. In Classical I see too much technique and not enough emotion(aside from some soloists) I like to see what a musician is made of as opposed to how well they can sight read. I'm really into progressive rock/metal, and new age, and want to carve out my own niche by adding Violin to what I'm already doing. This is probably why Stirling appeals to me. Have to admit, she can play!
June 1, 2019, 8:17 AM · I'm a big fan of Samvel Yervinyan and Mary Simpson of Yanni, they're both well trained and really show a ton of emotion in their playing.
June 1, 2019, 7:58 PM · Hope you’re enjoying it as much as I am, David. This was a very pleasant surprise to find. Bless her for her role in bringing these pieces into the world.
June 2, 2019, 8:03 AM · Hi Bruno, yeah, for one thing, the first few pieces I listened to are not "normal classical", but seemed to have world ethnic music content, with a mix of Avro Part thrown in. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet as I've been studying some other stuff I'm trying to learn.
June 2, 2019, 11:07 AM · In 27 Pieces sounds like a dark soundtrack, nice though
Edited: June 4, 2019, 5:27 AM · New Age with violin?
First one that comes to my mind is Yanni's "In my time". That album, besides having one of the most wonderful compositions for piano in the New Age genre, it also has some pieces with lead violin accompaniment, really beautiful and amazing melodies as well. If you're into New Age you don't want to miss that one.

About Lindsay Stirling... I sense you're a big fan of her or at least kind of a fan. Classical musicians, specially violinists, don't really "recommend" her because she's average at most, compared to the standards in violin. I personally don't like at all her movements and dances while playing, can't stand them. Most people today are not able to understand or even enjoy classical, so it's quite common to see lack of emotion in classical with those eyes, eyes so used to "fast food" music. Only some jazz lovers and a few soloists like guitarists tend to appreciate or like classical. What I see she's done is "inspire" a new generation of young teenagers, mostly girls, to pick up a violin, and I guess that's always good. I wonder how many world class violinists of the future will say "I picked up a violin because of Ms. Stirling". Nevertheless I've noticed she's not that famous anymore.

Edited: June 2, 2019, 9:29 PM · I can't believe you guys got me to listen to Yanni to see if I might like it and also check if Lindsay Stirling is actually "Mrs. Stirling". (To be clear, the answer as far as I've found is "no" to both, but my research has admittedly not been exhaustive.)
June 4, 2019, 5:31 AM · Hahahaha, I've just noticed about Mrs. Stirling. It was obviously a typo, I didn't mean to type that of course.

My God, if I was famous and this was published somewhere, I'd have unleashed hell.

I imagine how much attention and care a celebrity must put about what they say so they aren't misunderstood and create chaos each time they open their mouths.

June 4, 2019, 5:33 AM · J Ray, maybe this will change your mind about Yanni. I've seen him live with the full orchestra, amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTupdsjxl5c

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome