Hydronalium

Edited: May 20, 2019, 2:18 PM · What is hydronalium?

Replies (8)

Edited: May 20, 2019, 7:51 PM · That is an aluminum manufacturing company in Norway. Amazing what you can find with Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsk_Hydro

Note that the question originally asked about "hydro aluminum."

Edited: May 20, 2019, 12:09 PM · Are you sure you don't mean Hydronalium, an Al - Mg alloy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydronalium

This is commonly used for violin strings because of increased corrosion resistance.

May 20, 2019, 2:23 PM · Thanks D B. I edited my post. Aluminum or aluminum alloy strings deposit on the fingerboard. Is this an oxide?
May 20, 2019, 7:51 PM · Yes most likely an oxide or oxide hydrate. But once that happens, if the surface of the fingerboard becomes abrasive, I suppose it is possible for small amounts of the native metal to be transferred as well. I often see that the marks underneath my strings are shiny, which makes me wonder about that.
May 21, 2019, 7:39 AM · If it is an oxide, perhaps there is a limit to the thickness that can develop on the string winding. That would suggest minimizing the amount of transfer to the fingerboard to preserve the function of the string.
May 21, 2019, 10:47 AM · Aluminium oxidises easily in air, a protective adherent layer of oxide forming on the surface, whereas, in contrast, iron oxide (rust) is not adherent and falls off, exposing the underlying iron to yet more oxidation.
May 23, 2019, 7:38 AM · Years ago we got bridge spans in weathering steel. The steel would only oxidize to a minimal thickness.

Anyone have suggestions on reducing the amount of oxide transfer to the fingerboard, aside from minimal finger pressure?

May 23, 2019, 11:48 AM · I think there's really very little you can do about that. Probably the best thing is to just make sure your hands are clean before you play. The amount of material that is being transferred there is extremely small. Your strings are not wearing away underneath from contact with the fingerboard.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop