Why we should stop Viola jokes (2)

May 20, 2019, 5:03 AM · The original thread from Feb has been archived so I couldn't add this to the original. There was a good amount of discussion of TwoSet's habit of poking fun at the viola and violist and the impact this has had on some of their younger fans, a percentage of which took it seriously. I had grown weary of it myself and stopped watching them.

TwoSet released a new video the other day about the "New Viola Emperor". I thought it would be more of the same but it was not. After referring to the lovely warm tone of the Viola in a way that only TwoSet can, they finished up with a promise for no more viola jokes.

Replies (18)

May 20, 2019, 6:57 AM · I personally find them hilarious as long as they don’t actually degrade people but I think they’re good fun.
May 20, 2019, 8:18 AM · The best Jewish jokes are said to be made by Jews, the best Irish and Scottish jokes by Irish and Scottish respectively, the best viola jokes by . . . I could go on, it's a long list.
Edited: May 20, 2019, 11:19 AM · I do enjoy a good percentage of what they do, and while I didn't watch thier videos for a time I've noted recenthly that the what seemed to be a mean-spirited edge to some of thier videos appears gone. Good for them! They did indeed take a creative path to address it, nothing wrong with that.
Edited: May 21, 2019, 1:37 PM · Why pick on the viola?

There is, of course, the famous anecdote about Sir Thomas Beecham. A women came up to him and asked his advice.

She said she has a young son whom she wants to start on a musical instrument, but that she hates the way they sound the first year or two before they learn to make a decent sound. Could he suggest a suitable musical instrument?

Beecham replied, "Yes, the bagpipes."

The woman asked why.

Beecham responded, "Because they sound exactly the same when you have learned to play them as when you start."

Anyone know any good oboe jokes?

May 21, 2019, 1:47 PM · Well, Queen Hilary told them to stop, so they acquiesced.
May 21, 2019, 1:53 PM · Ralph is an oboist who loves to drink coffee. Each week he drinks three more cups of coffee than Harold, who drinks exactly one third the amount that the entire brass section consumes in beer. How much longer is Ralph going to live?
May 21, 2019, 9:55 PM · What is the difference between and oboe and an onion? No one cries when you chop up an oboe.
May 22, 2019, 3:59 AM · Thanks for informing us!
May 22, 2019, 7:11 AM · Don't outlaw viola jokes. Just make it a felony with decades of prison time for anyone who laughs.
May 22, 2019, 7:55 AM · Splutter, giggle... noseblow… snort...
May 22, 2019, 8:56 AM · From an oboist friend:

How can you tell if an oboe is playing forte or piano?

Forte sounds like this: "Baaaa"

Piano sounds like this: "f-sssss--sssBAAAAA"

May 22, 2019, 1:19 PM · LOL, all of you - I just about choked on my coffee :-)
May 22, 2019, 2:17 PM · Viola is harder than violin.
May 22, 2019, 3:02 PM · So... are viola jokes now lèse-majesté?
May 22, 2019, 3:35 PM · Being a bassist I normally just tell jokes about drummers..
May 22, 2019, 5:31 PM · I am glad they dropped the viola jokes. They also did this well enough where they did not have to apologize directly.

Additionally, it looks like they created enough fuss for Guinness World Book of Records to drop the “fastest violinist” title.

@catherine it does look like they’ve improved their material too. I’ve found myself watching more often as they move past their recycled 4 jokes. I hope they keep this up!

May 22, 2019, 5:56 PM · I could add an accordion joke, but I don't want to put the squeeze on accordionists.
May 23, 2019, 12:32 PM · Yes, mostly these music jokes are very generic indeed - what's the difference between a sackbut and an onion - no-one cries when you chop up a sackbut. And so on ad nauseam.

But violist jokes are interesting in that their main audience can only be the violin community, so we have to ask what do viola jokes say about violinists?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases