Furber violin (URGENT HELP PLS)

May 16, 2019, 11:19 AM · I found the John Furber (lot 147) on sale at current Tarisio New York in very excellent condition but the condition says cracks adjacent to neck and saddle, edge cracks and treble corners capped. it was made in c.1800, should I be concern about it? I need to put a higher bid before auction ends in 3 hours, so just checking with some experienced people in here. Thanks a lot!

Replies (9)

May 16, 2019, 11:24 AM · I am also looking at a completely different style of violin by Alceste Bulfari 1996 at Tarisio New York. I have not had a chance to try that violin when I was in Tarisio trying violins, but I heard only good things about this violin maker. I also believe he is the teacher of Riccardo Bergonzi whose violins are now extremely desirable. Can anyone give me any insight about the Bulfari violin (lot 158)? I think retail is selling for about US$15,000? Thanks again.
May 16, 2019, 11:35 AM · Respectfully, if you have to ask those questions here then you really should not be buying at an auction by yourself. You can get burned badly.
May 16, 2019, 12:45 PM · Yes, I'm not very experienced but even if I were I'd be very reluctant to offer anyone advice over a violin I'd never seen. Have you actually played this Furber?
May 16, 2019, 3:00 PM · I once played a Bulfari. Excellent instrument. Couldn't afford it 30 years ago when it was priced at $20k. $15k could be a real bargain...
Edited: May 16, 2019, 6:40 PM · The answer is the Furber is in pretty good condition with cracks in not important places, I wouldn't let that stop you from bidding if you have already heard it.
May 16, 2019, 6:10 PM · "I am also looking at a completely different style of violin by Alceste Bulfari 1996 at Tarisio New York. I have not had a chance to try that violin when I was in Tarisio trying violins, but I heard only good things about this violin maker."

I wish I saw this earlier. I played a Bulfari for 5 years (I've just changed). I loved it - strengths were in darkness, fullness, evenness. What I might have liked more of was upper E string. I would love to know what it sold for!

May 16, 2019, 7:02 PM · Bulfari sold for $5000.00, $6000.00 with buyer's premium.
May 16, 2019, 7:42 PM · Auction houses have condition reports that specify certain kinds of defects, but not others.

Therefore, it is possible to buy a violin at an auction that has serious and expensive defects that are not disclosed by the condition report.

Buyer beware.

May 16, 2019, 8:54 PM · what happened Alex??

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra