Himari Yoshimura

May 15, 2019, 11:12 AM · Well, all my self-esteem is gone, now and forever.

Replies (24)

May 15, 2019, 11:19 AM · OMG!!!
May 15, 2019, 11:21 AM · Amazing! That's how I sound in my own head... its just those listening that may not agree!
May 15, 2019, 11:26 AM · and at times she almost looks bored! got to love that bow hand.
May 15, 2019, 11:28 AM · My self-esteem is intact. However, I need to find buyers for my violins.
May 15, 2019, 11:43 AM · I feel really sorry for all the 10-year olds she beat in the competition. (OK, not really, given that those 10-year olds would all trash me, I thought I might mention them too FWIW.)
May 15, 2019, 12:40 PM · Only mature players can bring a profound experience of life into their performances. Joy, despair, serenity, melancholy, passion, existential angst - I do them all although you may struggle to tell the difference. Never boredom though.
May 15, 2019, 1:11 PM · I think we now have proof that the theory of the transmigration of souls is a reality. We just have to wonder which violin virtuoso has come back as a Japanese girl.
May 15, 2019, 1:28 PM · I also think and wonder as to that possibility Mr. Wells.
May 15, 2019, 2:41 PM · Fascinating!
Edited: May 15, 2019, 3:11 PM · The reason her tone is not as good as Hilary Hahn's is only because she has four fine-tuners on her tailpiece. You just know how much those wreck your tone.

Tim wrote, "Just remember, there's always going to be someone who will play better than you."

I'll put a positive spin on it. If there weren't child violinists who could play circles around me (and perhaps also around Tim), classical music would have no future. So I'm glad for this little girl's accomplishment and I hope she is able to enjoy the violin as part of a balanced and joyful life on earth.

IMO not the most musical selection in the world. Basically a Viotti concerto on steroids. But in a competition, this is what you play. It's not about skating "artistically," it's about landing triple jumps.

May 15, 2019, 4:30 PM · This movement can be played artistically and beautifully, but I think the fact that she can play it at all at age 7 is an incredibly fine step on that path.
May 15, 2019, 9:52 PM · Amazing for sure. But I hope she has some balance in her life.
May 16, 2019, 12:42 AM · She does a lovely job with all of the singing lyrical bits, too, not just the technical wizardry. And she looks like she's enjoying herself. More power to her!

May 17, 2019, 9:16 AM · That video brought tears to my eyes, even after watching it several times. She already knows how to make the violin cry and sing. Even with a fractional violin, four fine tuners and a pinky hold. People assume it's the parents pushing the child, but how do we know that it's not the child pressuring the parents?
May 17, 2019, 9:44 AM · There are always comments that wonder aloud whether an accomplished or precocious child is somehow being driven or abused by tiger parents, or whether the child's life must necessarily be miserable in some other way, or whether they "have a chance to just be a kid" and so on. I wonder how many of these comments are driven by genuine concern vs. sheer jealousy.

Very often it turns out that precocious children are just really gifted and internally driven to exploit their talents, and in other respects might be completely normal or even above average -- in academics, sports, and what have you. This kind of out-sized accomplishment often accompanies an exceptional intellect and especially a rare ability to concentrate. So what you see is that young gymnasts are going homework in half an hour that would take other kids four times as long, and then they move on to the next thing -- immediately, not with 20-minute breaks in between everything. They learn they can text their friends while being driven to their next thing, and they do not lack for "socialization."

I once knew a local family whose kids seemed to be doing everything -- chess, academics, foreign languages, tennis lessons, etc. The mom told me the kids themselves wanted to do all that stuff. They were bored otherwise. She had to keep them from doing more. Both kids seemed completely well-adjusted to me -- actually they were the sweetest young people you could imagine. The older of the two is now married and practices medicine. I forgot the name of the younger child and googling is rather impossible without that.

May 17, 2019, 3:44 PM · To add to what Paul said, there's real delight in doing something that you're awesome at. Children with the "rage to master" view that work as play.

Also, depending on where a kid lives and what they're like, there really might not be viable enjoyable social experiences. When I was a little kid, playing the violin was how I met like-minded kids. My violin friends became the core of my social group in high school.

May 17, 2019, 9:25 PM · Lydia, your comment is interesting: "depending on where a kid lives and what they're like, there really might not be viable enjoyable social experiences". I had a friend once who said there would never be another Mozart because now we have video games. Clearly there are some kids who do quite well musically despite modern technology.
May 18, 2019, 6:46 AM · "I wonder how many of these comments are driven by genuine concern vs. sheer jealousy."

It's an interesting question. IMO it would be genuine concern in 99% cases, but I think amateurs are relatively more driven by concern, and professionals are relatively more driven by jealousy. Because it can hurt that something you do for a living could be done very well (or better) by a 7 year-old.

Clearly no amount of talent can make a 7 year-old become this good if not accompanied by hours of arduous practice everyday, to the expense of nearly everything else. And the kid does not grow to save millions of humans by her diligence or the huge financial investment by her parents, I can't help but transiently thinking if it's really worth it for such sacrifice, before I repress that thinking.

Same story with these Chinese child gymnasts .. only a bit less brutal.

May 19, 2019, 12:44 AM · Or maybe not. Alma Deutscher (violin and piano but most impressively also composition) is pretty articulate about the fact that she's the one doing the pushing.

Unfortunately I can't find the longer interview i saw a couple of years ago but here she is discussing her first opera

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DT3YlcHyF9dc&ved=2ahUKEwiHwfq78abiAhXS7HMBHTSlB98QwqsBMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw12WT2jOngGZ2kyUYuiahDN

May 19, 2019, 7:40 AM · There is no doubt there were happy kids.

But I believe the probability for the reverse is higher. You must be a very special kid to enjoy doing doing the same activity day and night in this era of diverse entertainment.

Also, the assumption 'as long as it makes me happy, it's ok' is dangerous. Smoking, drugs, video games, sex, gambling can make us happy you know.

Edited: June 8, 2019, 1:10 PM · This does frighten me quite a bit, but I could easily beat her.
Not to brag :)

If she can play Hora Staccato though, I am toast then :p

June 8, 2019, 4:30 PM · You should post a video then.:-)
June 8, 2019, 5:58 PM · Waiting on Rty Euczh's video.
June 8, 2019, 8:29 PM · Impressive little girl, one has to wonder what it took to get to where she is/was. I suppose if she went at it 4hr/day it would be over 3 yrs like 12 yrs of me learning at 1yr/day.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition