16th note section before the arpeggios in Lalo Symphonie Espagnole mvt 1

May 11, 2019, 3:50 PM · I'm having trouble with the 16th note section before the arpeggios in Lalo Symphonie Espagnole mvt 1. The runs are not smooth. My left hand sometimes isn't smooth when shifting. My bow hand sometimes doesn't match up with my left hand. My teacher said that it sounds too forced and too heavy. How can I fix this? What techniqes should I use to help? Thanks in advance.

Replies (17)

May 12, 2019, 12:28 AM · Could you be more specific? By arpeggios I'm assuming you mean the string of e half diminished 7th chords on the 1st page?
May 12, 2019, 12:28 AM · Could you be more specific? By arpeggios I'm assuming you mean the string of e half diminished 7th chords on the 1st page?
May 12, 2019, 1:12 AM · Which measure number?
May 12, 2019, 9:19 AM · Yes Christian Harvey, I'm pretty sure that's the spot
May 12, 2019, 9:19 AM · Yes Christian Harvey, I'm pretty sure that's the spot
May 12, 2019, 9:19 AM · Yes Christian Harvey. I'm sure that's the spot
May 12, 2019, 3:03 PM · Is anyone going to reply?
May 12, 2019, 4:52 PM · You probably haven't practiced the runs efficiently and thus you're having to use a ton of conscious effort to overcome them instead of just relaxing and letting well-acquired muscle memory do the work for you. This probably leads to the "heaviness" and burdened sound.

You need to start at a very slow speed and practice the runs, but each shift should be very fast. So despite the slow tempo, the shifts themselves should each be like a "burst" of movement.

Also, what is your fingering? Maybe it sucks? And can you be more specific about exactly the section you're speaking of? Give measure numbers!!

Edited: May 13, 2019, 9:21 AM · Mark, indeed, could you please indicate the measure number precisely. Because I do not know of any 16th notes section in that movement that precedes arpeggios.
May 13, 2019, 2:20 PM · My music doesn't have numbers but in the link below, start at 3:40 to 4:17. Thanks for the tip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw20rHFqaPQ
May 14, 2019, 2:46 AM · Oh, that's not on the 1st page at all. Your response to Christian had make me look on the wrong page.

Just post a video and we can give more relevant advice.

May 14, 2019, 6:00 AM · "my music does not have numbers"..."and I am too lazy to count" ;-)
May 14, 2019, 3:10 PM · Just trying to make it easier for everyone jeez
May 14, 2019, 9:53 PM · If you want to make it easy and get reasonable answers, post a video and I'll guarantee you'll get quality advice. The issue with your post is that it's pretty vague, so no one here wants to go through the trouble of giving advice when it could be the totally wrong advice. The video would ensure that their efforts were in the right direction.

There are potentially hundreds of problems that could occur in the section you're talking about. A video allows people to immediately identify the issue.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases