Vomit Clean Up

May 10, 2019, 7:29 AM · I have a school violin that the student vomited on. I know I can clean it up, but was wondering if there is any cleaning agent that may be recommended by others or techniques to do so. There is a little inside the violin, mostly on the outside and in the case lining.
Thank you,
Greg

Replies (14)

May 10, 2019, 8:47 AM · Most varnish will take a little soap and water, briefly.
For the inside, maybe let it dry and shake rice grains (uncooked!) around in the violin?
May 10, 2019, 8:56 AM · Use rice for curry in the violin too. When it comes out, it's a ready meal.
May 10, 2019, 10:36 AM · Be sure to cross-reference the de-humidification thread.
May 10, 2019, 10:49 AM · If it were me, I'd of course wipe it off, but then use sparingly (using a damped wipe) some pet odor enzyme based cleaner to deal with the smell. I assume this is not an expensive instrument; most likely has an spirit based varnish, which is easier to clean without damaging.
May 10, 2019, 12:03 PM · Try fire, and lots of it.
May 10, 2019, 3:52 PM · Exactly how valuable is this violin? If it's a typical school instrument, probably not very. I'd try Adrian and Roger's suggestions, and if that didn't work, Marty's.

I'd write the case off as a loss. There is no way that case is ever coming back to its original condition.

I'm assuming the student was quite young? Perhaps time for a little speech to the entire class about how to handle a sudden indisposition (hint: PUT THE VIOLIN DOWN AND RUN). I once had a student turn white and start to sway in a private lesson; I grabbed her violin and directed her to sit down immediately. Fortunately the worst was averted.

May 10, 2019, 4:25 PM · What? You didn't have a vomit clause in the loaner agreement? Well, live and learn I guess.
May 10, 2019, 6:22 PM · My dog could use a new toy, and he doesn't seem to much care for sanitation...
Perhaps you could donate to the cause?
May 11, 2019, 1:50 AM · Vomit is a biohazard.

Would you want your child to handle something that has been contaminated by someone’s bodily fluid?

Edited: May 11, 2019, 8:01 AM · Kids. I was in a car with a 12-or-13-year-old chess wizard once. It didn't occur to him that throwing up out of the window was better than throwing up in the car.
May 11, 2019, 7:55 PM · I'm with Marty on this one.
May 11, 2019, 10:51 PM · Il Cannone just arrived in Columbus, Ohio. Make certain that kid with the vomit problem doesn't get anywhere near it. Just in case.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra