Where can I try/buy a Yannick Le Canu bow?

May 8, 2019, 9:44 PM · My daughter had the pleasure of playing one of her instructors’ Y Le Canu bows today and loved it. Can’t find any for sale online and the maker doesn’t have a website. Messaged through the JF Raffin site, but don’t know if he sells through there. Thanks for any leads!

Replies (11)

May 8, 2019, 10:53 PM · The Soundpost in Toronto has had quite a few of his bows... I bought mine there and have tried three others at the shop. They do sell pretty quickly, as they really are superb bows. Good luck.
May 9, 2019, 12:01 AM · I don’t see one on their website, but I sent them an email. Thank you!
May 9, 2019, 3:23 AM · Donald, you could try this:

ATELIER DESMARCHELIER LE CANU

Address: 7 rue d'Ostende
LILLE,59000 France

Telephone
+33 3 20 42 96 88

yannick.le-canu@wanadoo.fr

May 9, 2019, 8:38 AM · That looks like a very old email address. Most old wanadoo addresses are now online dot fr.
Edited: May 9, 2019, 11:27 AM · Herman, my impression has been that he doesn't care much about the latest smartphone, or a website, but just loves making bows. That could have high appeal to some, and less to others.

Even if the email address has gone by the wayside, the phone number may still work.

May 9, 2019, 9:42 PM · Thanks so much!
May 13, 2019, 3:18 PM · https://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/09226693 seems to work. Same address. Confirms phone number. Adds facebook link.
Edited: May 13, 2019, 3:55 PM · Did you ask your daughter's instructor where he/she bought it and for how much? What if it were $6000? I don't know the maker, but doesn't sound like a $200 bow either.

Addendum. A 30sec Google search led to this web site http://www.lecanu-millant.com/Atelier_Le_Canu/Produits.html

May be related, who knows.

May 13, 2019, 3:42 PM · Let us know what you find; I'm curious if he does commissions for folks in the states and what his current wait list is like.
May 16, 2019, 4:24 PM · Try calling Johnson string instruments. If they don't have any they are very knowledgeable and can make recommendations that may be comparable.
May 16, 2019, 8:41 PM · Thanks all,

After going down the rabbit hole the last week or so looking for a Le Canu or Bigot or Leahy bow, I've discovered that they are nigh impossible to come by on the market in US, and usually only available on secondary market in France. My daughter's teacher got his in France a couple of years ago and did not realize what the market/waiting list had become. The waiting lists for all are quite extensive when you can reach someone. Mr. Leahy did respond quickly and courteously to e-mail, but his waiting list is at the 3 year mark. We are going to choose from bows we could trial immediately, a Yves-Fuchs, Raguse, Mohr, Millant, Forbes and luckily I found an E. Fournier to try. Thanks again for the assistance.
Donald

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases