How do I evaluate my playing?

Edited: May 6, 2019, 10:40 AM · I'm a late starter, started two and a half years ago at the age of 20, I started with arabic music because that's where i come from but a year ago i started practicing from the suzuki book, i was able to attend a praviate violin class for a couple of months unfortunately i couldn't carry on However now i'm working on suzuki vol.4 on my own, how can I evaluate myself and what should be my next step ?

Replies (13)

May 6, 2019, 11:41 AM · Get a teacher.
May 6, 2019, 1:55 PM · Make a You Tube and share it with the group. You will get a lot of advice. Perhaps, more than you want.
May 6, 2019, 4:57 PM · Too bad I can't get a teacher where I live
May 6, 2019, 5:23 PM · Wafaa, Do you know anyone in your area who plays the violin who you could play for? It is very hard (almost impossible without a lot of experience) to evaluate yourself on the violin.

Edited: May 6, 2019, 6:10 PM · Welcome Mrs. Emad,

It is unfortunate that you want to improve on your playing and that there is no local teachers to help you in your music study. Although I am not tech savy and do not know much about it myself, perhaps you coukd look into Skype lessons with a very good teacher at a reasonable price.

May 6, 2019, 11:38 PM · If you play for other people and they invite you back you are doing OK. If that happens be happy for your relative success but try to keep improving.
Edited: May 7, 2019, 2:32 AM · Yes, make a youtube clip and share it here, you will get evaluated and given advice :) Just remember that you will get negative feedback too as a community is not the same as a teacher who gives only encouraging feedback. But still that is the easiest way to get evaluated and many people here like to comment :)

Only dont do it too often. Like, if you do it once or twice a year its fine, but once a month is too much :)

Edited: May 7, 2019, 4:08 AM · I agree with the previous comment that discussions on a forum may be positive or negative. At this stage in your playing you want encopuraging feedback. Why not try Skype lessons or Video Feedback lessons? Have a look at proamstrings
May 7, 2019, 6:06 AM · +100 on the suggestions for Skype or video feedback lessons - Skype would be the better of the two as it allows for immediate feedback during the session. The teacher can't reach out and change your position - but it is preferable to videos but that is a real option as well.
May 8, 2019, 4:33 AM · Hi Wafaa,

It may be useful to take a look at violinlab.com. It has tons of instructive videos and a community forum where you can post a video of your playing and get feedback. To get an impression, you can search for violinlab.com on Youtube.

Good luck!

Bart

May 11, 2019, 6:58 PM · Thank you all
Edited: May 21, 2019, 3:23 AM · Red desert violin is similar to violin lab in that it has video lessons you can access at will, but they are very carefully sequenced, like a course.

I think lora scaffolds (the teacher word for how you break things down to support the student) better than violin lab, though there might be slightly too much of this for someone who plays more by instinct and just wants occasional pointers.

The course gives you access to lora, the teacher. She responds very quickly to questions and is especially understanding of the fact that some students can't afford a payment every single month. (Let her know what unit you're up to when you resubscribe).

The reason I'm suggesting this is that lora is a Suzuki teacher and you can literally do the Suzuki books 1-4 through her videos with very clear teaching points for each piece and tips about how to practice them. The book 4 has a deluxe version which includes extra stuff on positions and double stops, which is worth the extra $.

https://www.reddesertviolin.com/suzuki-violin-suzuki-book-4-lessons-sp/

She also has this blog which might help you work out where you sit, technically.

https://www.reddesertviolin.com/how-to-determine-what-suzuki-book-to-place-a-student-in/

If you start a course and think you're in the wrong book, let her know and she'll move your subscription.

I am currently using it to develop my own understanding of violin teaching, especially how to break down technique for students. I was very impressed to discover a bunch of things my teacher (who was better than many I tried but not top tier) didn't teach me, some of which I had learned without knowing, some of which I'd been oblivious to. This included some missing technique in book 2, so if you're self taught you might want to talk all this through with her first.

So, highly recommended of you can't afford or aren't close enough to regular lessons. If you can do grave to have, though, it really does move you along faster...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Pockestra
Pockestra